Why is there brown discharge while emptying the bowel after prostate biopsy?

Q. I underwent biopsy of prostate and getting brown discharge while emptying my bowels. Is this normal?

Dr. Gajanan Shirpad Bhat
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 06, 2019 and last reviewed on: Jul 20, 2023

I had a transperineal ultrasound-guided prostate biopsy approximately four weeks ago. As a result of the biopsy, I have been getting a discharge of fluid from my penis when I empty my bowels. This happens usually with a hard stool. The color of the discharge is brownish. Is this a normal experience from a biopsy? Is there any further information you can point me? Blood in the urine has stopped approximately two weeks following the biopsy.

#

Anatomically prostate is located just in front of the rectum. The biopsy procedure would have caused some micro trauma with resultant bleeding. So, when a hard stool passes through the rectum, it puts pressure on the rectum thus causing the collected old blood to come out through urethra as brownish blood which dilutes with the urine. As such this is harmless and need not worry about this. However, if you have pain and fever associated with it, you need to consult the urologist.

| 
1 out of 1 likes