Q. My 16-year-old daughter is experiencing mid-cycle spotting and it is increasing. Why?

Dr. Nadia Khan
and medically reviewed by Nithila A
Published on Sep 12, 2019

My daughter is 16, and she has been having periods since she was 10. They always came regular, but she almost always has mid-cycle spotting (around ovulation). Recently the spotting has become heavier (she has to wear a panty liner). She has been stressed out, and she lost some weight (on purpose) we joined weight watchers.

She has also been exercising (including running). We are very close, and I am 100 % sure she is not sexually active. She is overweight started at 240 lbs and now is down to 224. Does this sound normal? Or does she need to be seen? What can we expect at the visit? She is scared.

Dr. Nadia Khan

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

With the symptoms mentioned here, I do not see any problem with her periods as long as she is having spotting for 1 to 2 days, and I suppose she is not bleeding like periods. And regarding her weight, reducing weight is good for cycles and getting overweight sometimes interfere with cycle regularity, but she must make sure that her BMI remains within reasonable limits as excessive weight reduction will also result in her cycle disturbance. I hope it has helped you. If you require any further queries, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Is my spotting due to implantation bleeding or periods?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 30 years old and married for 2.4 years. Now we are planning for a child. On 14th of this month, I experienced periods with very little stomach pain and pain in legs. The next day on 15th there was no bleeding at all, 16th I had spotting of light red colored blood flow, 17th the sa...  Read Full »

There is white vaginal discharge with mild spotting. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, My girlfriend had her periods 16 days back but two days back she had a white spotting and today she had blood coming out of her vagina for a second but stopped. Please tell me what does this mean.  Read Full »