Q. My 13 year old has grade-1 fatty liver. What should I do?

Dr. Hafiz Muhammad Hassan Shoukat
This is a premium question & answer published on May 20, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

My son is 13 years old. He has grade-1 fatty liver. SGPT 149 and SGOT 70. His cholesterol is also high at 230 and triglyceride is 200. LDL 140. Blood pressure around 150/87 but varies a lot and comes down to 125/80. Pulse is always above 90. His height is good around 5 feet 7 inches and weight 84 kgs. Looks overweight. He exercises around 45 minutes five days a week and eats junk only twice a week. Please advice. What should I do about the above?

#

All of these symptoms are suggesting metabolic-X syndrome. In the long run, if not controlled then there is a high risk of developing complications, like diabetes and heart problems. The best suggestion I can give is to see a good endocrinologist and follow up with him, as he needs to be tested for hormones like cortisol, thyroid, androgens.

Cut back on junk, not even once a week. It is poison for him.

Continue exercise, fast walking, not jogging. With this weight, jogging can be harmful for joints. Anti-cholesterol medications are usually started after 18 years of age, I would not recommend starting right away. Fatty liver grade 1 is totally reversible with weight management, I would suggest do caloric count per day. Do not let him take 2000 KCal in a day, Everything more than that gets deposited in form of fat. Use more proteins than carbohydrates.

Repeat ultrasound liver in six months to see the resolution of fatty liver status.

For more information consult a family physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/family-physician

|