Q. I missed my period and I am not pregnant. Should I consult a doctor?

I missed my period but I am not sure why. I am not pregnant. My last period was on 14th of last month and my period is due on 10th of this month. I do have a lot of disturbed sleep due to my 18-month-old baby who does not sleep very well and wakes at night. I am always very tired. My weight has always been the same. I have not had this problem before with a late period unless I was pregnant. Should I go and see a doctor or be worried?

I do no do any exercise nor under contraception. Also, I am not sexually active for the past three months.

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

If you have missed your menses and the home pregnancy test is negative as on date then the most common cause of delay in menses during this cycle would be stress-induced hormonal imbalance. However, if you are breastfeeding then sometimes irregularity in menses is possible as well.

Next, the best thing to do in your case would be to wait for another five days and if no menses then repeat the urine pregnancy test and then if negative again, then opt for a transvaginal ultrasound to check for endometrial thickness. If the endometrial thickness is more than 9 mm, then you can opt for a withdrawal bleed with progesterones to resume your menses.

Keep your daily water intake to three to four liters as it is the best anti-oxidant and de-stressor considering your disturbed sleep pattern. This would help regularize cycles naturally. Maintain a menstrual calendar for the next three months to understand your fresh pattern of bleeding and if no change and this being a singular episode then no apparent need for any medications for regularization of cycles would be required.

| 

I am not breastfeeding. And to clear the doubt regarding pregnancy I will follow your advice. I will wait a further five days from today and take a pregnancy test which is likely to be negative and then will consult a doctor. Any other advice?

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

If you are not breastfeeding and pretty much sure about negative pregnancy, then this being the first or single episode of irregularity or delay in cycle qualifies for wait for another five days till a total of 15 days post missed menses to allow allay of anxiety and stressors for natural arrival of menses. But if not then follow as advised with a USG (ultrasound) and then a withdrawal bleed.

In the meantime increase your water intake and try sleeping adequately. This would help you regain your circadian rhythm sooner.

|