Q. What is the reason for absence of period after delivery?

Dr. Anindya Das
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 18, 2016 and last reviewed on: Sep 23, 2020

My wife had cesarean delivery 12 months ago. She has uterine tumor of 2.2 x 1.6 cm in myometrium. After delivery she had been continuing periodical discharge for two months. Period has been stopped since last 10 months. My wife is still breastfeeding our baby (son). The doctor has advised to stop breastfeeding to start menstruating. If she did not get a period, then what problem can occur? Please explain me in detail.

Dr. Anindya Das

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

• Cessation of menstruation is called amenorrhea.
  • Amenorrhea for six months following pregnancy is usual, but when it has continued for 10 months, it requires investigations.
  • Breastfeeding may be a cause. If the period does not return after stopping breastfeeding, then we have to search for other causes.
  • In that case, serum for the thyroid function test and prolactin has to be done. There is nothing to worry regarding the ultrasonography report (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

For further information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

| 

Thank you doctor.

Can thyroid problem cause excessive hair fall?

Query: Hi doctor, I have thyroid issues for the past three years. I got this when I was pregnant. I am taking Thyronorm 75 mcg tablet for the last three months. Recently, I have done the thyroid test and my T3 and T4 are normal and TSH is very low. It shows less than 0.01. What does it indicate? First, I w...  Read Full »

I am in my 30s and I have PCOS and a high prolactin level. Can I get pregnant?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 31-year-old female. I have PCOS, high prolactin level, my TSH is 4.26 for which I am taking medicine and for prolactin and my AMH is 17. I got pregnant with twins when I was taking 100 mg of Clomid but there was no heartbeat by week 10. I had a few miscarriages two years ago a...  Read Full »

I do not have any symptoms, then why is my prolactin level high and testosterone level low?

Query: Hello doctor, My doctor wants me to get an MRI after my blood work. I wanted to get a second opinion, and I have attached my blood results. My prolactin is 20.4 (above normal), total testosterone is 269.3 (below normal), free testosterone is 8.9 (normal), FSH is 3.7 (normal), LH is 2.9 (normal). I ...  Read Full »

Miscarriage
This article provides you with all the information that you should be knowing about miscarriage. Although this is an emo...  Read more»