Q. What is the reason for absence of period after delivery?

Dr. Anindya Das
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 18, 2016 and last reviewed on: Sep 23, 2020

My wife had cesarean delivery 12 months ago. She has uterine tumor of 2.2 x 1.6 cm in myometrium. After delivery she had been continuing periodical discharge for two months. Period has been stopped since last 10 months. My wife is still breastfeeding our baby (son). The doctor has advised to stop breastfeeding to start menstruating. If she did not get a period, then what problem can occur? Please explain me in detail.

#

• Cessation of menstruation is called amenorrhea.
  • Amenorrhea for six months following pregnancy is usual, but when it has continued for 10 months, it requires investigations.
  • Breastfeeding may be a cause. If the period does not return after stopping breastfeeding, then we have to search for other causes.
  • In that case, serum for the thyroid function test and prolactin has to be done. There is nothing to worry regarding the ultrasonography report (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

For further information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

Thank you doctor.

#

You are welcome.

|