Q. I do not have any symptoms, then why is my prolactin level high and testosterone level low?

Dr. Divakara P
Published on May 30, 2017

My doctor wants me to get an MRI after my blood work. I wanted to get a second opinion, and I have attached my blood results. My prolactin is 20.4 (above normal), total testosterone is 269.3 (below normal), free testosterone is 8.9 (normal), FSH is 3.7 (normal), LH is 2.9 (normal). I have had a history of low testosterone, and it was 150 and 130 in the last two years. This recent test was done this month. I have no low libido or erection problems with my wife. I do notice that I am not waking up with a morning erection. But if my wife arouses me in the morning, I immediately get an erection. I must admit that I was eating a lot and not exercising as much, but I started to change that. Do you think an MRI is needed? Should I see another local physician or urologist? Or should I just get medicines to lower my prolactin level?

Dr. Divakara P

Diabetology Endocrinology General Medicine Internal Medicine Pain Medicine Pulmonology (Asthma Doctors)
#

Thanks for posting your query.

1. Problems in the testes.
  2. Problems in the pituitary gland located in the brain.
  • Now your endocrinologist wants to know if there is any pituitary problem, which is causing high prolactin levels. He is perfectly right in thinking so.
  • Alternatively, if you want to avoid getting the MRI of the brain, then you can ask him to evaluate for testicular problems first, and if it comes clean then go for the MRI.

Hope this information was useful to you. 

For further queries consult a diabetologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/diabetologist

| 

Thanks for your advice. Do you think it could be something life-threatening? I know there can be a tumor on the pituitary, which is usually benign and can be treated with medication. But I noticed that when a tumor is there, the levels are usually really very high. I am just nervous. Also, can you have low testosterone and high prolactin without any of the symptoms? What concerns me is not having the morning erections.

Dr. Divakara P

#

Thanks for the follow-up.

• You are right, in the case of pituitary tumors, the prolactin levels are very high, but in early cases and if the tumor is small, then the levels can be slightly high. Also, there are other conditions other than tumors, like a granulomatous disease, that can cause mild elevation of prolactin.
  • However, I do not see anything that you need to be worried of, as none of these conditions is life-threatening.

For more information consult a diabetologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/diabetologist

| 

Can ultrasound detect my uterus abnormality?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 41 year old woman. I am suffering from cramping pain and bleeding after sex. I get an intermediate white or yellow discharge from breasts. I have an oily skin, facial hair growth and acne. I had prolactin test done and it was found to be normal. Before 10 years, I also had...  Read Full »

Could you please explain MRI brain and CSF studies related to NPH?

Query: Hello doctor,Can you please give the diagnosis of the uploaded MRI brain and CSF studies with a detailed report? Please advise on the action plan as to how to get the CSF findings treated. The MRI report is enclosed. Does the enclosed report co-relate with your findings? The MRI report CSF studies r...  Read Full »

Would low testosterone affect erection?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 33 years old. I never had sex and physically fit. I do not drink alcohol or smoke. My eating habit is healthy and I do not have much stress. I did my medical test three months back and found my testosterone level is below the minimum limit. I started eating vegetables and fruits, but...  Read Full »

Ask a Diabetologist Now