Q. Is mitral valve prolapse a reversible condition?

Dr. Prashant Valecha
Published on Apr 14, 2018

I was recommended by my cardiologist for a heart valve replacement surgery as my latest echocardiogram results, both transthoracic (TTE) and transesophageal (TEE), revealed that my mitral valve prolapse had worsened. The diagnosis was severe eccentric MR. However, during the latest TTE scan, the radiographer who did the scan said that my regurgitation was only moderate. I find this very confusing and was wondering if MVP is a reversible condition. No current medications.

Dr. Prashant Valecha

Cardiology General Practitioner
#

First of all, the severity of MR (mitral regurgitation) will be correctly deciphered by your cardiologist.

An eccentric type of MR is actually a grade higher than what it looks.

Like your radiologist may think it is moderate but it is severe, but because of its eccentric nature, it looks lesser than what it is.

The second thing is, why are you not on any medicine yet? You should be on ACE (angiotensin-converting enzyme) inhibitors and diuretics.

If you have symptoms like breathlessness, these medicines will relieve that and prevent heart events too.

If you have symptoms and your heart chamber size increases, then you should go for MVR (mitral valve replacement).

If a prolapse is worsening, then it will not reverse.

For more information consult a cardiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist

I had a strange episode and do not remember anything of that moment. What should I do?

Query: Hi doctor, I had a strange episode the other day where I was driving, and it was like I lost and had been in a trance or asleep. When I snapped out of it, I was not sure where I was. I thought I was lost at first and did not recognize anything, although I take this trip daily. I had not been sleepy,...  Read Full »

I have chest tightness. Is it caused by trivial mitral valve prolapse?

Query: Hello doctor,I have mild mitral valve prolapse for the past five years. From the last eight months, I am not feeling well mentally and having chest tightness and pain. After echo, I was diagnosed with trivial mitral valve prolapse and redundant chordae tendineae. Please help me, doctor.  Read Full »

After 30 years of mitral stenosis surgery, another valve has got defect. What to do?

Query: Hi doctor, The patient suffered from mitral stenosis. Before 30 years, he had surgical operation. Presently, he is suffering from chest pain. After thorough checkup, it reveals that the other valve of the patient got defective. In this regard, we seek your valuable advice. Is it possible to get surg...  Read Full »