Q. Reports show AML prolapse. Is there a way to avoid mitral regurgitation developing?

Published on Jun 18, 2018

My blood pressure is 140/90 since one year and I am using Telmikind 40 tablet in the morning. Today, I visited the cardiologist and he suggested 2D echo and ECG. The reports show mitral valve has AML prolapse and no MR. Kindly clarify this. Is something wrong? I am attaching the reports.

Cardiology General Medicine Internal Medicine
#

I have gone through your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Your ECG is normal. In the echo, there is AML (anterior mitral leaflet) prolapse, which means there is slight backward bulging of the valve leaflet. This is mild and there is no leakage in the valve. The risk associated with this is of valve leakage called as mitral regurgitation and it is not there.

In most of the individuals, it is benign and does not lead to any complications and some may develop leakages. In you, it less likely to develop leakage as it is not there at present. So, nothing to worry about it now, but get an echo once in three to five years just to keep a check over it.

Hope this helps you and get back if you have any doubts.

For more information consult a cardiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist

To reduce blood pressure, the doctor suggested Telmikind H instead of Telmikind 40 which I used earlier. Is it sufficient or not? How to avoid mitral regurgitation?

#

Yes, you should have Telmikind H (Telmisartan and Hydrochlorothiazide). This was increased as your BP is borderline. Out target is less than 140/90, preferably less than 130. So you should have it.

And you just need to keep BP under control and no other action is needed to reduce the risk of mitral regurgitation. There is no such treatment available to stop mitral regurgitation from developing as it is a genetic defect. Overall, you should not worry much about it, but just keep watch over it.

All the best.

What does ballerina foot mean?

Query: Hi doctor, I have been told that I have ballerina foot. Is this dangerous? Does it mean I have a heart disease? Or is it a common finding?  Read Full »

What does my 2D echo report indicate?

Query: Hello doctor, I have thickened tip of mitral valve leaflet with prolapse of the mitral valve leaflet to the left atrium during systole producing moderate mitral regurgitation with an EF of 34% and left atrial enlargement. There are normal coronary artery sizes. There is normal pulmonary artery pres...  Read Full »