Q. What am I suffering from, classic or non-classic MVP?

Dr. Vivek Maroti Celerio Mandurke
Published on Nov 02, 2016

Two weeks ago, I have been diagnosed with mitral valve prolapse, eccentric, very mild regurgitation and mild leaflet thickness. My questions are as follows. Will this condition get worse? Can you tell by looking at the echocardiogram images, whether it is classic MVP or non-classic MVP?

#

• It looks like non-classic MVP (mitral valve prolapse). There is mildly thickened AML - anterior mitral leaflet, but it does not matter much. Only the grade of MR is important.
  • Eccentric jet is more dangerous as leaking of the valve will hit directly to wall when it is mild or moderate. You need to screen every five yearly with an echocardiogram and need to monitor the heart chamber size and MR (mitral regurgitation).
  • If the severity of MR increases, then more frequently echo is needed.
  • Infective endocarditis prophylaxis needs to be taken. It means if some procedure like dental extraction or major or minor operation, then tell your doctor that you have MVP. He will give antibiotics before the procedure.
  • Dental care also important. Just take these slight precautions; otherwise, you can do everything what others doing. Take care.

For further information consult a cardiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist

What does high deceleration time in echocardiogram indicate?

Query: Hi doctor, I recently had an echocardiogram. The results were normal, but the deceleration time is 439 ms. My doctor did not say anything about it while reviewing the results. But, I have subsequently learned that it is very prolonged. What should I do now?  Read Full »

Can you explain my maid's heart condition in simple terms?

Query: Hi doctor, My maid has a heart problem since her birth. She complains of pain in heart, a sudden increase in heartbeat, feels hot and leg pain. Now, she feels very weak. Her echo was done recently and I have attached that here.  Read Full »

My mother has got typhoid for the 12th time. How to proceed further?

Query: Hi doctor, I am an MBBS student. My mother aged 47 years is suffering of typhoid which is a case of relapse and this is the 12th time. She is having a temperature nearby 102-103 degree Fahrenheit. Three years before, she was given Ceftriaxone IV 2 g twice (BD) and after that she was given Ampicillin...  Read Full »