Q. What am I suffering from, classic or non-classic MVP?

Dr. Vivek Maroti Celerio Mandurke

Two weeks ago, I have been diagnosed with mitral valve prolapse, eccentric, very mild regurgitation and mild leaflet thickness. My questions are as follows. Will this condition get worse? Can you tell by looking at the echocardiogram images, whether it is classic MVP or non-classic MVP?

#

• It looks like non-classic MVP (mitral valve prolapse). There is mildly thickened AML - anterior mitral leaflet, but it does not matter much. Only the grade of MR is important.
  • Eccentric jet is more dangerous as leaking of the valve will hit directly to wall when it is mild or moderate. You need to screen every five yearly with an echocardiogram and need to monitor the heart chamber size and MR (mitral regurgitation).
  • If the severity of MR increases, then more frequently echo is needed.
  • Infective endocarditis prophylaxis needs to be taken. It means if some procedure like dental extraction or major or minor operation, then tell your doctor that you have MVP. He will give antibiotics before the procedure.
  • Dental care also important. Just take these slight precautions; otherwise, you can do everything what others doing. Take care.

For further information consult a cardiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist

|