Q. Am I a possible candidate for stroke?

Dr. Prashant Valecha
This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 23, 2016 and last reviewed on: Dec 18, 2021

I recently lost partial vision in my left eye. I was diagnosed with retinal ischemia by an eye specialist. After an angiogram, he suspects a small crystal of plaque blocking the blood supply to a portion of my retina. He told me I should see a cardiologist fairly soon, as he has worries about where that plaque is coming from and that I am a possible candidate for a stroke. The earliest I can see a cardiologist is still a week away. I am wondering if this is more urgent than that. I am 54 years old, currently taking Prednisone and Methotrexate for recently diagnosed psoriatic arthritis. I also have controlled blood sugar with Metformin and cholesterol with a small daily dose of Atorvastatin. I feel fine except for the vision loss. Thank you.

#

There are chances of cardioembolic stroke (some clot or infected vegetation) particle that your ophthalmologist is suspecting. Your cardiologist will do echocardio and see if any source of that in your heart.

To prevent stroke, I suggest taking one high dose of Aspirin 325 mg and Atorvastatin 80 mg and then Aspirin 150 mg with Atorvastatin 40 mg every day. If it is not infected vegetation (as in infective endocarditis), you can prevent stroke and any other infarction.

|