Q. I was tested positive for COVID after the first dose. Should I take the second dose?

Dr. N. Ashok Viswanath

Three months back, I took my first Moderna COVID vaccine shot. Four days after the first shot, I was tested positive for COVID. My symptoms were very mild. A few days later, I took the Regeneron monoclonal antibody treatment and was told that I could not take my second vaccine shot for 90 days. My 90 days are over, and I want to know should I still take the second shot since I already had COVID (built-up antibodies), took the first vaccine shot, and took the monoclonal antibody treatment. Is the second shot really necessary?

#

Thanks for writing in, and I understand your concern.

It is better to take your second vaccine dose now. It will boost your cell-mediated immunity against future chances of infection with the COVID-19 virus for many months to years. It is fine that you got COVID-19 infection followed by the first dose vaccine for which you have been treated with monoclonal antibody. I suggest getting your second dose vaccination done and staying protected.

|