Q. I have a mole that is more of red color than brown. Should I worry?

Dr. Rashmi Singh
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 16, 2016 and last reviewed on: Nov 21, 2019

Could you please take a look at this mole? I had it for ages and it has not changed, but it always bothers me. It is more of a reddish color than brown and I have a couple of them. I visited a dermatologist and she said it as fine. I was just wondering for the tiny dots in the mole? I think she may have said hair follicles or pores or something. I was just concerned if it was a mole with two colors as in the ABCDE signs. Sorry, I get a bit paranoid about my skin. I have sent you pictures with and without flash for your reference.

#

I appreciate that you are so aware and concerned. I went through the pictures (attachment removed to protect patient identity) and I find them completely harmless for now.

• ABCDE signs are not absolute, but relative. By that I mean to say, any change in color, symmetry, border, diameter and evolution over a period of time is significant.
  • They seem more of a postinflammatory pigmentation, lentigine or just nevi. Nothing to be worried about.
  • Although I would still want you to keep an eye on any mole for evolutionary changes.

For further information consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

Thank you so much for your answer. What do you think the little dots are in it? Is this a dysplastic mole as it has brown dots in it? I think they may just be tiny pores that show up in the flash maybe? They do not really show on the picture without the flash. I am worried. Please help.

#

• You seem to have such pigmented dots even on the normal skin without nevi in background that is evident from the picture (attachment removed to protect identity).
  • Your picture makes me think it is either a prominent hair follicle or ingrown hair or broken capillaries.
  • The picture does not fit into dysplastic mole in my opinion from my experience. But, if it still troubles you a lot, you can go for biopsy of the same to rule out atypical histology.

For more information consult a dermatologist online -->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

|