Q. Is mole with hair a non-cancerous one?

Published on Aug 22, 2018 and last reviewed on: Jul 24, 2019

About a month ago I vigorously scratched off a mole that was on my back. While lifting weight and lying on my back, it got irritated. I have had the mole for at least seven years. It has always been relatively big and light brown shade. However, when I picked it off it went away at first, then about a month later it has gradually started to come back. Now, it is not even, looks irregular and varied in color a little bit. It has also grown a hair in it. In interner, I searched pictures of melanoma and freaked out. I do not have a history of skin cancer in my family. I am 24 years old and I go to the beach and pool quite often. I have not always worn sunscreen, but most of the time I wear SPF 15. I am not on any medication.

Cosmetology Dermatology HIV/AIDS Specialist Plastic Surgery – Reconstructive And Cosmetic Venereology
#

• Presently what I can see is the erosion (attachment removed to protect patient identity) so at this stage even dermoscopy would not be able to find out malignancy.
  • So, best policy at this time is to use Mupirocin ointment twice daily in order to subside or prevent infection. Once the erosion is subsided then you can go for dermoscopic and histologic examination to confirm the nature of mole.

For further information consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

I have read different things in online saying that a hair cannot occur in a melanoma. Because, the cancer cells would kill the hair. I have read others saying this is not true. What is your answer for this issue? Since my mole has a hair growing out of it, does that increase or decrease my chance of it being a melanoma?

#

• Hair growth has nothing to do with malignancy.
  • Melanoma is a tumor of melanocyte present in the basal layer of epidermis while hair emerges from different entity known as hair follicle.
  • So, in advanced stage due to infiltration of tumor cell in hair follicle may cause hair loss but it does not always happen. This is why none of scientific criteria for diagnosing melanoma has presence or absence of hair.

New moles are appearing in my palms. Is it melanoma?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 24-year-old male. For the last six years, new black moles have been appearing in my palms. It is not creating issues like itching, pain, etc. I just want to know whether it a symptom of melanoma.  Read Full >>

Dr. Kakkar
Dermatologist, HIV AIDS Specialist, Venereologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have noted your concern and I have viewed the images (attachment removed to prevent patient identity). These are benign nevi - acquired melanocytic nevi (AMNs). They are not a sign of melanoma. AMNs may increase in number during the first three decades and it is a...  Read Full

The mole on my arm has two different brown shades. Give me your opinion please.

Query: Hi doctor,I have got a mole on my arm that measures 5 mm and is flat. I have always had this mole. I have not noticed it changing and it has not bled or itched. I am a bit concerned though that it has two different brown shades in it and would like your opinion on it, please.  Read Full >>

Dr. Shanza Ikram

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your case (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Yes, I have seen few important things. It is irregular in shape (do not know whether it is in this shape from the beginning), which is not a good sign in my opinion. Secondly, there is ...  Read Full

What Can Cause Sudden Tingling And Itchy Sensation?

Query: Hi doctor, Two months ago I started feeling tingling and itching sensation between my thighs and then up to my chest. I just took the most painful shower ever (warm water). It stung and I wanted to scratch my skin off. At first there was nothing visible, just itching, now you can see red dots here...  Read Full >>

Cosmetologist, Dermatologist, Family Physician, General Practitioner, HIV AIDS Specialist, Plastic Surgeon, Venereologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is a case of folliculitis, probably fungal or bacterial in nature. Apply Mupirocin ointment, twice daily. For further information consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist  Read Full