Q. I have irritability, anger, and mood disorder inspite of having medications. Why?

Dr. Punya Mulky

I am suffering from irritability, anger, and mood disorder. Now I am taking Qutan 25 once at night, but the improvement is not good. Please help.

#

I understand it must be difficult for you. But it would be helpful if you could elaborate more about your irritability and anger, i.e., since how long you have had this problem. Do you get irritated due to some reason or nothing at all? Why exactly would you say you have a mood disorder? Is your mood too low or too happy? How are your sleep and appetite been? Do you have any other medical illnesses along with this?

You are taking Qutan 25 mg. Has it been prescribed for you or you have started on your own? With this dose of Qutan, you may sleep better and feel less anxious. But it is not sufficient for your irritability and anger. Please let me know the details of your problem to help you better.

I have irritability and depressed mood from last one year. I get irritated over every small issue for almost no reasons. At times my mood remains happy, but at frequently it becomes irritated. I get to sleep only when I get medicine. I am diabetic my HbA1C was seven last month, and PP is 220. A local physician prescribed Qutan. I have an appetite problem, indigestion and I have dysentery in every 15 to 20 days. I have weakness and sweating in the mornings.

#

You can consider stepping up Qutan to 50 mg and start with tablet Mirtaz 7.5 mg (Mirtazapine) in the night. It will help you with your mood, appetite, and sleep. You should meet a psychiatrist or a psychologist in person as you may need therapy. Individual incidents of your anger and irritability and what lead to them need to be probed into. You will also need help working on how to improve your coping skills. Even if you are using any substance, please cut down on it. Try and maintain good sleep hygiene, balanced diet, and engage in physical activity as well. I hope this helps.

|