Q. Is it safe to take Risperidone for hallucination for a long time?

Dr. Ramchandra Lamba
Published on Jul 03, 2019

My brother had five to six episodes of hallucinations, and he takes Risperidone 2 mg for one year. Is it safe to take this medicine for such a long time? Can psychosis come back after stopping the medication? What are the side effects?

Dr. Ramchandra Lamba

Psychiatry Psychologist/ Counsellor Sexology
#

Antipsychotics are usually required for long-term. But if the person is suffering from acute and transient psychotic disorders, then these drugs are used for three months to one year depending upon the situation. After completing the drug treatment, relapse of psychosis can also occur.

Risperidone is generally a safe drug, but it also has side effects. It requires blood sugar, and lipid profile monitoring. As on long term, it can cause metabolic syndrome. Metabolic syndrome causes an increase in blood sugar, blood pressure, and deranged lipid metabolism. So regular monitoring is required.

| 

I am diagnosed of psychosis NOS. Is there a possibility of withdrawal psychosis when antipsychotics are discontinued?

Query: Hi, I am diagnosed of Psychosis (NOS). The first episode was in 2010 and it lasted for three-four months before I was taken to a psychiatrist. I had been thinking that people are tracking me through email, internet. My mobile phone is tapped and all that. I did not get any auditory or visual halluci...  Read Full »

I am pre-diabetic. Can I take malt-based drinks once a day?

Query: Hello doctor,I was diagnosed as pre-diabetic six years ago. I have avoided sugar completely since. I would like to know whether I can take malt-based beverages once a day.  Read Full »

Please explain the treatment approaches of schizophrenia.

Query: Hello doctor, I have a case that was assigned to me in school, and I want to seek help from doctors. My case is about a girl who has schizophrenia and was diagnosed very early. She shows all the symptoms, like hallucinations, hearing voices, hurting other people and talking to people who are not th...  Read Full »