Q. What can be the reason for lack of libido after discontinuing Risperdal?

Dr. Raveendran Sr

I am a 33-year-old male with height 180 cm, and weight 85 kg. I always been healthy. I do not have symptoms of depressions. I took Risperdal to treat minor vocal tics, and I have OCD. Now I have been off Risperdal for five months and still no libido, no sex drive. I searched for post-SSRI sexual dysfunction (PSSD). Why do no doctors recognize this? What is the solution now?

I took Risperdal three times for three months each time for the past two and a half years (on and off). I took Risperdal three months before. Symptoms are no libido, no sex drive, and no feelings for sex. I am not taking any other medication (never took any). Why is everyone ignoring PSSD? What is the treatment?

#

The drug you used Risperdal contains Risperidone an atypical antipsychotics and it has an effect on libido, but it will wear off when you stop taking medicine.

So we need to find other reason causing low libido such as,

1. Decreased sensation in your penis.

2. Fear of failure.

3. Low self-esteem (chronic masturbation).

4. Homosexuality.

5. Religious constraints.

6. Long term illness.

7. Negative attitude towards your partner.

8. Hormonal issue.

9. Diabetes and hypertension.

These are other issues causing low libido. If you can share details regarding the above reason, we can work on your cause.

The issue is the medicine did not wear off after I stopped. How long it might take for recovery? Will it stay permanently? The other reasons you mentioned are not applicable for me.

#

SSRI are selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors drugs. It is a different class of drug. The drug which you used is Risperidone, an atypical antipsychotics (AAP), has a side effect of increasing prolactin lead to sexual problems like erectile dysfunction or sexual dysfunction. It is not a permanent issue. You should be alright in a few weeks. If you still have some issue, then we need to check prolactin level and testosterone level.

Taking Phosphodiesterase 5 (PDE5) and Sildenafil will be helpful if your blood reports are normal. Also, you can try exercise, yoga, and practice five minutes running every day.

|