Mouth Breathing

Can teeth move when pushed with tongue?

Query: Hello doctor, I feel like my teeth are loose and moving in front. It looks like my tongue is pushing them forward. When I look in the mirror, I can notice that one of my teeth has shifted. I do not know what happened and I am really scared. I try to brush my teeth at least once a day. Please help.  Read Full »

Dr. Subha

Dentist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The feeling of teeth moving forward might be due to the following: The eruption of the wisdom teeth - the force exerted by eruptingtooth pushes the rest of the teeth forward. Periodontitis - gum disease that causes migration of the teeth. Mouth breathing - breathin...  Read Full »

How to treat my son who is breathing through mouth and not nose?

Query: Hi doctor, My son is eight years old. From birth to till now, my son is taking Penicillin for the ear and throat infections. He cannot breathe through the nose. He uses mouth for breathing for years. What can I do now? Please suggest.  Read Full »

Allergy Specialist, General Practitioner, ENT Otolaryngologist, Family Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You son is suffering from upper airway obstruction. It causes him to breathe through the mouth. It could be a result of allergies or inflammation of adenoids behind the nose. It can be cured by steroid sprays. It is just a part of the treatment. If there is some other f...  Read Full »

How to get rid of bad breath? I floss, brush every morning and night, but still suffer from bad breath.

Query: Dear Doctor, I am 16 years old. I floss, brush every morning and night and use a tongue cleaner too. But still suffer from bad breath the whole day. Please help me.  Read Full »

Dr. Tooba Qazi

Dentist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Do not worry. After following these tips you will feel better and get rid of bad breath by 2 weeks. Start using chlorhexidine mouthwash thrice a day for 4 weeks. Do saline water mouth rinses (take lukewarm water in a small cup and add 1/4th teaspoon salt in it),...  Read Full »

I am a mouth breather. Will this cause health problems later?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 19. I am partly a mouth breather since childhood. I mean, I breathe through my mouth only while sleeping. Is it harmful? Will I get sleep apnea? I am a thin guy with no snoring issues.  Read Full »

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf

Diabetologist, Endocrinologist, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I just read your query about mouth breathing. I would like to say that yes, eventually it causes enlarged tonsils as well as adenoids, and causes a nasal obstruction leading to obstructive sleep apnea. It can happen in any body type. If your nose is blocked b...  Read Full »

Why do I have a raspy voice from childhood?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a question about my voice. As a kid, I had a raspy voice the entire time until puberty. After I hit puberty, I do not think my parents noticed anything, but people have said I sound like Kermit the frog or that I need to stop mumbling. The problem I have is that I have to try qu...  Read Full »

Dr. Mehak Agarwal

Diabetologist, Family Physician, ENT Otolaryngologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. If your nose is blocked then you may have nasal polyps or some nasopharyngeal mass like adenoid or may have deviated nasal septum. For that, an endoscopy or CT scan is required. It may alter the voice. After ruling out these possibilities, you can consult a speec...  Read Full »

Please explain the benefits of breathing through the nose than mouth.

Query: Hi doctor, Please explain the benefits of breathing through the mouth and breathing through the nose. Is one better for the body than the other? Does it depend on activity that is, exercise?  Read Full »

Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal

ENT Otolaryngologist, Audiologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Nose is considered as the primary organ for breathing. It warms, cleans and humidifies the inspired air and cools and removes water from the expired. It also adds quality to the speech production. During exercise, the function of the nose is bypassed. It is important for ...  Read Full »

Will I get benefit from sinus surgery?

Query: Hi doctor, I snore and wake up tired daily. Sometimes, my nose is runny all day. I have attached my CT report for your reference. I just wanted to know if surgery necessary. Will it benefit me? Please explain.  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. We are happy to help you. Your CT scan (attachment removed to protect patient identity) concludes that you have retention cyst inside both maxillary sinuses and the right frontal sinus. Retention cysts form when fluid collections in the sinuses get covered with a mucu...  Read Full »