Q. My son is breathing through mouth and not nose. What can I do for it?

My son is eight years old. From birth to till now, my son is taking Penicillin for the ear and throat infections. He cannot breathe through the nose. He uses mouth for breathing for years. What can I do now? Please suggest.

Allergy Specialist Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

You son is suffering from upper airway obstruction. It causes him to breathe through the mouth. It could be a result of allergies or inflammation of adenoids behind the nose. It can be cured by steroid sprays. It is just a part of the treatment. If there is some other form of inflammation of adenoids, then he needs removal of adenoids. If your son becomes unresponsive at any stage, then he needs surgery. Mouth breathing can also lead to a complex problem such as adenoid facies.

| 

How is obstructive sleep apnea treated?

Query: Hello doctor, I was diagnosed with obstructive sleep apnea and secondary pulmonary hypertension two years back. I am using a CPAP but, not too regularly now. When sleeping, I often feel a blockage of my air passage, especially while exhaling, as if suddenly clogged by some tissues. This would repeat...  Read Full »

When is sinus surgery indicated?

Query: Hi doctor, I snore and wake up tired daily. Sometimes, my nose is runny all day. I have attached my CT report for your reference. I just wanted to know if surgery necessary. Will it benefit me? Please explain.  Read Full »

I am having severe toothache with swollen face even after taking antibiotic. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, My tooth started hurting about a month and a half ago, just one night of hurting badly. Then went away. About weeks later started hurting again but nothing too bad. I just dealt with it. Now, again I have severe pain. I went to ER, said it was abscessed tooth and gave me Amoxicillin. ...  Read Full »