Q. Please explain MRI taken for neck pain.

Dr. Vivek Chail

I have neck pain. Kindly help.

#

I could only view eight images from your MRI cervical spine scan (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The pictures which you have sent do not show the spinal canal and the discs in detail. Please send all the MRI images which are available on your CD DVD and you can take help from customer care if you are having problems in uploading the images. I will have a detailed look and reply back once the images are uploaded.

For more information consult a radiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/radiologist

I think that was all the photos I had. Can you tell anything from what you see?

#

MRI cervical spine contains 150 images. I am listing the areas which I can comment on and the areas which are not visualized in your pictures.

In the given pictures I see the following. The vertebrae of the cervical spine are in alignment. There is no fracture or dislocation. The signal intensities of the vertebral bodies are normal on the T1 sequence as visualized on the sagittal image. This means that any tumor or infection of the vertebrae is unlikely. There are two pictures showing the atlanto-axial joint and this looks normal. The disc spaces look grossly normal.

I am unable to comment on these areas. The individual discs and neural foramina are not shown in the images. The spinal canal with the cervical spinal cord and cervicomedullary junction area is not visualized. The posterior elements are not clearly visualized. Also, any area of nerve compression and if that is the reason for your pain.

The file says patient could not complete exam and three sagittal and two axial series only have been taken. There is no trauma or spine injury. Neck pain with right and left lower and upper extremity pain. I was completely cooperative. Was I too fat for the machine or something? Why would they not do all the pictures?

#

These images are sufficient to know your problem areas (attachment removed to protect patient identity). There is a mild straightening of the cervical vertebrae and minimal degenerative changes in the cervical vertebrae. There is a mild posterior thecal indentation in the cervical disc levels. There is mild pressure on the nerve roots in following areas:

1. C3-C4 cervical disc level mild on the left side.
  2. C4-C5 cervical disc level mild on the left side.
  3. C4-C5 cervical disc level mild on the left side and minimal on the right side.

The cervical spinal cord looks normal. There is no serious problem associated with the above findings but it can cause mild pain and discomfort in the neck and arms.

How do I fix the pain? I have pain all down my arm.

#

You have a mild form of degenerative changes and this can easily be controlled by taking precautions. Many individuals get relief by doing physiotherapy and using pain relief sprays and ointment. Avoiding any stress on your neck for a long duration and sitting in the right posture are some of the self-help techniques to decrease the pain.

|