Q. Does the MRI of my head show any TMJ problem?

Dr. Kumar M
This is a premium question & answer published on May 13, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

It has been a long tiring search to find out what is wrong with me and I want to get a second opinion on the MRI of my head. The main symptoms I am having for three months are a constant sore throat, right ear feels clogged, ringing in ears at times, eyes are red all the time and sting a lot, a bad TMJ, constantly clear my throat, slight numbness on left side of the face and left back shoulder area. I wanted to ask, do my sinuses show any abnormality or thickening? Do I have any visible mass or lymph node problems? Is there any problem with my TMJ? 

It all started with a pain in my right upper quadrant, and then CT scan showed hemangiomas and cysts on my liver and bilateral parapelvic cysts. So, thinking the worst, I had MRI of the head and abdomen done with contrast. After many opinions and radiologist readings, they have all said my liver lesions appear benign. I have also had a clear colonoscopy and upper endoscopy. MRI of the head showed thickening of mucosa in sinuses, but it does not say how bad. I have tried everything from nasal sprays to eye drops, to allergy pills and still the same.

I read that TMJD can cause eye, ear, face, and throat symptoms so wanted to get this MRI reread. I have had constant clearing of the throat and post-nasal drip for many years with no relief. All my blood reports are also normal.

#

I have gone through the reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity)

• Can you please send me CT of paranasal sinuses, facial bones, inner ear, and neck.
  • Have you ever consulted an ENT specialist before?
  • You need to do a diagnostic endoscopic study of nose, throat, and ear. If possible post these pictures.

Revert with more information to an ENT otolaryngologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/ENT-Otolaryngologist

Thank you for replying. Would upper endoscopy be able to see throat issues or just esophagus? I consulted a local ENT, and he said that it is acid reflux. However, I have not consulted anyone since the MRI.

#

• The MRI shows no abnormality, it does not show the neck, so it is hard to comment on the lymph nodes in the throat or neck.
  • A CT scan of the facial bones is needed to comment on TMJ. And also get a pure tone audiometry and impedance audiometry to rule over any ear pathology.

For further queries consult an ENT otolaryngologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/ENT-Otolaryngologist

|