Q. I am hearing a strange noise only at night. Please help.

Answered by Dr. Mehak Agarwal and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
Do you have a question on Tinnitus or Hypothyroidism? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »

Around three months back, I started to hear a strange noise at night. We live in a village. Apart from the odd barking dog and passing car, it is silent, especially at night. However, I started to hear what sounded like a distant engine, but it never got any closer. It is almost like a droning sound, not a hum as such as seemed to almost vibrating through me. It did not particularly stop me sleeping, but was annoying. It was there for a couple of nights and I would go outside and could not hear it. I could hear it in other rooms of the house, although maybe not as loud as the bedroom. I could find no real explanation for it. Electric cables are going to the house but have been the same for years, and nothing has changed. Then a couple of weeks later, the noise was back and was really loud when I went to bed. I fell asleep but woke in the middle of the night, and it kept me awake. The next day I could still hear it everywhere in the house, also in the next door house, but not so much outside. It is like a constant distant aircraft noise or car engine that goes in and out, louder, quieter, louder, quieter and at times I almost feel it than hear it. It left me tired with a slight headache, and it was just pulsating through my body all the time. That was the worst day.

Since then we moved to another house in an entirely different area, although still a quiet village location. There is a very little passing traffic as we are at the end of a lane. At first the noise seemed to have gone; however, I have begun to notice it again. I can hear it all the time, but in the day there are other noises and distractions. It is at night when it is very quiet I can hear a constant drone. It now seems mainly in my left ear, or I can hear it especially in that ear. If I put my finger in that ear, it stops. Also if I hold my nose and blow and keep the pressure up the noise cannot be heard. If I put my finger in my right ear, I can still hear it, although maybe not as loudly. For example, it was very distant this morning. If I put my left ear on the pillow and lie on my side, I can hear it just the same. It does not keep me awake and or cause me any real problems. I am just getting concerned it could be due to something nasty, like a brain tumour or something.

I went to the pharmacist and got some cleaning spray. I have also had a consultation with an ENT specialist. I did not explain to him about the droning sound as it is difficult in another language, but he gave me a checkup and did not find anything out of the ordinary by looking in my ears, nose, throat, etc. I have recently been diagnosed with hypothyroidism although I can get no connection. If it is tinnitus, then I can live with it quickly enough at the moment. But, I am concerned that it could be the symptom of any serious underlying problem. I have had recent blood tests done, and they were all fine apart from my TSH levels for hypothyroidism, and my blood pressure is fine.