Q. My son has MTHFR with low blood and neutrophil counts. Kindly advise.

Dr. Zubayeralam

My son is 19 months old and his blood count and neutrophils came back low. He has MTHFR 1298c homozygous and would like some advice on what can it be?

He is currently on vitamin B supplements.

#

I can understand your concern. According to your statement, your son recently has done a blood report and revealed that blood count and neutrophil count are low.

MTHFR A 1298C has implicated homocysteine metabolism as well as the folate cycle. It is a genetic disorder that may lead to high levels of homocysteine in the blood and low folate levels and other vitamins. It usually does not need any special treatment. Vitamin B supplements should be taken, but the doctor needs to determine the exact causes of increased homocysteine levels to exclude the causes.

Why are the neutrophils low? What can it be? It concerns me more.

#

Low neutrophils count is known as neutropenia. Neutropenia may result from various reasons such as Folate or Vitamin B 12 deficiencies, any type of viral infections such as influenza, Epstein virus, Cytomegalovirus, hepatitis, HIV, medications like penicillin, anti-seizure drugs, autoimmune neutropenia, splenomegaly due to many causes, congenital neutropenia, bone marrow infiltration like leukemia, idiopathic (unknown cause) neutropenia, etc.

From the causes mentioned above of neutropenia, I think your child's low neutrophil count may result from folate or vitamin B 12 deficiencies, and they also help in blood production. So any deficiency may cause low blood count, as well as low neutrophils count. Vitamin B complex with folate supplements is the treatment of choice and closely observe for detecting any further complications like a fever.

|