Neutrophil

Will low neutrophil count be the cause for low-grade fever and joint pain?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 24-year-old female. I have done my blood work and the neutrophil count is very low 0.6 from normal in a matter of weeks and I do not understand why. Other symptoms, I am having are low-grade fever, joint pain (knees, hips, and shoulders), extreme fatigue, and spasms in my leg. ...  Read Full »

Dr. Vandana Andrews

Family Physician, General Practitioner, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your concerns are valid. The symptoms could be due to a condition called neutropenia (low neutrophil counts). It is generally seen in conditions like infections viral, bacterial, or parasitic infections. Examples include HIV (human immunodeficiency virus), tuberculosis...  Read Full »

Is FNB or biopsy needed to check lymph node enlargement?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 32 year old male. My height is 6 feet and weight is 145 lbs. I am facing a significant unexplained weight loss of more than 45 lbs in four months. My normal weight since high school is 185 to 180 lbs. I am having episodes of significant and frequent drenching night sweats. Also, I ...  Read Full »

Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda

Geriatrician, Hematologist, Pathologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Based on your query and attached images (attachment removed to protect patient identity), my opinion is as follows: In view of the clinical symptoms, images could be more of neoplastic etiology. Clearly, with the family history and prominent nodes along with classical his...  Read Full »

Why is my neutrophils low and lymphocytes high?

Query: Hi doctor, I had an annual checkup. Please have a look at the reports and advise if everything seems fine and healthy.  Read Full »

Dr. Uphar Gupta

General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. All your reports are within the normal limits. But, Your weight is a bit more. Your BMI is 29 (body mass index), which is overweight, but not obese. Just that and rest all is fine. For further information consult a general practitioner online --> https://www.icliniq.c...  Read Full »

What does neutropenia mean?

Query: Hello doctor, I recently had my blood test and the results came back that I had mild neutropenia. It has got me a little concerned since this has been present on my last two blood tests with the lymphocyte count being significantly higher, but still within the normal upper limits. I have had no in...  Read Full »

Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda

Geriatrician, Hematologist, Pathologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Based on your query, my opinion is as follows: Neutropenia is reduced neutrophils in the blood. Neutrophil is one of the five types of white blood cells (WBC) in the blood. Normally, when the instrument counts the WBC, it counts 500 cells and divides the type of cells. If...  Read Full »

What causes elevated liver enzymes and low white blood cell count?

Query: Hi doctor, I got a complete blood profile done about two weeks ago, and my doctor said that my reports were normal. But, my WBC and neutrophil count were low. After doing some internet searches, I am anxious. Although the doctor said it was fine, he gave me some supplements. But lately, I have bee...  Read Full »

Dr. Amit Dhamankar

Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). From your history, I think the reason for your low WBC is stress and raised liver enzymes is because of fatty liver, which is a benign condition. Moderately low WBC coun...  Read Full »

What causes high neutrophil count during pregnancy?

Query: Hi doctor, My wife's hemoglobin is normal with neutrophil 75.25, low lymphocyte and low RBC. Occasionally, she gets dizzy and a bloody nose. Her mother had anemia when she was born and it was never fixed. Other than being pregnant, no problem now. Her blood report signals anemia and I think it is co...  Read Full »

Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda

Geriatrician, Hematologist, Pathologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Based on your query, my opinion is as follows: Neutrophils have different ranges and up to 75% can be considered mild increase. Due to increased neutrophils lymphocytes appear proportionately low, when the count is being done. Neutrophils can increase in stress and pregn...  Read Full »

Should I worry about sudden drop in neutrophil and WBC count?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 30 year old woman. I have recently lost a pregnancy at 19 weeks due to membrane rupture. I had induced abortion with Misoprostol two weeks back and there is no complication since. I have had a CBC done almost every week from the starting of my pregnancy and they were all absolutely...  Read Full »

Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda

Geriatrician, Hematologist, Pathologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Based on your query, my opinion is as follows: The WBC count (white blood cell) varies on day-to-day and hourly basis and also depending on variable internal factors. Corticosteroids can affect WBC count, particularly neutrophils. At present, maybe due to stress, which in...  Read Full »

Why is my neutrophil number dropping?

Query: Hi doctor, I recently had my blood tests done for unexplained bruising, mouth sores, muscle pain and headaches. The neutrophil number came back as low of 1.2. I looked back at my past laboratory results and the neutrophil number has been dropping as follows. First it was 3.4, then 3.2, 2.9, 2.7, 2.1...  Read Full »

Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda

Geriatrician, Hematologist, Pathologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Based on your query, my opinion is as follows: If the immune system were being affected, then I would like to look at the whole picture of WBC count (white blood cell) and decide. Psoriatic arthritis is a chronic disease and in chronic diseases, the lymphocytes increase. ...  Read Full »

Can DPT vaccine cause neutropenia?

Query: Hi doctor, My son is 15 years. He got his DTaP vaccine two weeks ago and had CBC 20 days later. All came well except neutrophil count, which came back as 800 and total WBC 2500. We are going to repeat the test tomorrow. Can the vaccine be the cause for the neutropenia? And if so, how long will it ...  Read Full »

Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda

Geriatrician, Hematologist, Pathologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Based on your query, my opinion is as follows: I doubt the vaccine could be the cause of neutropenia (neutrophil count less than normal). Though it can take place in some case like Influenza virus vaccine, but with DTP (diphtheria, tetanus and pertussis) have not been re...  Read Full »

What can be the cause for high B12 level in a person with MTHFR mutation?

Query: Hello doctor, I have genetic mutation MTHFR. I am on thyroid for hypothyroidism. My B12 level is 1476, the normal range is between 138 to 652 pmol/L. How can I lower my B12 level? Is this level a cause for concern? All the other blood levels are normal other than WBC which is at 3.4 and neutrophils...  Read Full »

Dr. Elina Angelova Beleva

Hematologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is essential to know the primary reason for vitamin B12 testing. Was it done due to any complaints that could be related to anemia like fatigue, malaise, or any other symptoms that could be related to thrombotic complications possibly due to the inherited MTHFR ...  Read Full »