Q. Is inherited MTHFR gene mutation a risk factor for breast cancer and increased lymphocyte count?

This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 30, 2020 and last reviewed on: Feb 06, 2021

I need help to understand the attached breast ultrasoud. I also have the MTHFR gene mutation inherited from both parents and want to know if it will affect my lymphocyte count to be high. I am taking Maxalt for migraines.

#

I have seen the attached report (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

MTHFR gene mutation is not an independent risk factor for breast carcinoma. The association between this gene mutation and breast malignancy is not fully understood. However, in your attached ultrasound, breast mass is not present. There is no malignant mass in the breast in the ultrasound report. So do not worry about breast cancer.

But if the mentioned nodule and enlarged lymph node persist for a few days, then biopsy can be taken for histopathology examination. Histopathology examination will be the best to diagnose the exact cause for that nodule and enlarged node. As far as the ultrasound report is concerned, do not worry about that.

Lymphocytes are mildly elevated. It could be due to viral inflammation as well. Repeat your CBC (complete blood count) after a few days and revert back.

|