Q. Should I avoid folic acid during MTHFR pregnancy?

Dr. Sanjay Kumar Bhattacharyya
Published on Jul 02, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jul 05, 2019

I am 5 weeks pregnant and I have MTHFR and PAI mutations. My doctor recommended me to take Folic acid. I read it should be avoided during MTHFR pregnancies. Along with that I am on Prozac and Euthyrox. What do you think? What should I do? Please help.

Dr. Sanjay Kumar Bhattacharyya

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

Truly speaking, MTHFR - methylene tetrahydrofolate reductase mutations are widely spread and all most one half of the population is having or carrying these mutations by different extent. By different extent, I mean to say, various levels of affection or involvement that is from very insignificant disease to severe disease.

I do want to know that in which category you are now. This is fairly judged by the serum levels of homocysteine, which is the protein that is increased in the blood. If you have a severe MTHFR defect, then you need to avoid Folic acid and also need to screen some fetal congenital defects like spina bifida or anencephaly at an earliest.

But, if you do not have any specific symptoms with this mutation, then there is no harm to take these vitamins. PAI mutations (plasminogen activator inhibitor) could result in abnormalities in blood clotting disorders. This actually poses no bar for taking Folic acid in pregnancy state.

For further information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

I have C677T heterozygous mutation and A1298C heterozygous mutation. I do not know what it means or how severe it is. I am asymptomatic and I just discovered it by chance a while ago.

Dr. Sanjay Kumar Bhattacharyya

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

Now, it is a bit clearer. There are different variations of MTHFR gene and among which C677T and A1298C are the commonest. If you were only heterozygous for any of them, then the matter could have been a bit subdued and your enzyme activity would be 60% of the normal. But, as you have both the genes in the heterozygous state, the problem might be there inside you and might be a bit complicated. You need an urgent consultation from an endocrinologist and a genetic specialist to assess your health status. You need screening for a few diseases right now.

Intermenstrual Bleeding or Spotting - Is it Normal or Should I be Worried?

Article Overview: Intermenstrual vaginal bleeding or spotting or bleeding between periods is considered abnormal and may usually require a patient seeing a doctor. It is also termed metrorrhagia. Normally, a woman has a regular menstrual cycle of 28 days with ranges between 21-35 days considered normal and menses can last for 2-7 days. Any bleeding out of these are considered abnormal.  Read Article

Dr. Nsah Bernard

Causes of Intermenstrual bleeding: Intermenstrual bleeding or bleeding between periods can be caused by a vast number of factors which may be physical or organic and psychosocial. If you are experiencing intermenstrual bleeding, then your doctor maybe a able to rule out one of the below most probab...  Read Article

Ectopic Pregnancy

Article Overview: In an ectopic pregnancy, the fertilized egg gets attached anywhere outside the uterus. Ectopic pregnancies are very common and occur in about 1 in every 50 pregnancies. It is a medical emergency and if left untreated, can also be fatal. Read Article

Dr. K Sneha

What is an Ectopic Pregnancy? Fertilization of the ovum by sperm takes place in the fallopian tubes. After fertilization, the fertilized egg travels through the fallopian tube to the uterus. Normally, this embryo gets attached to the wall of the uterus and develops. In an ectopic pregnancy, the fer...  Read Article