Q. What can be the cause for high B12 level in a person with MTHFR mutation?

Dr. Elina Angelova Beleva
Published on Jun 04, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I have genetic mutation MTHFR. I am on thyroid for hypothyroidism. My B12 level is 1476, the normal range is between 138 to 652 pmol/L. How can I lower my B12 level? Is this level a cause for concern? All the other blood levels are normal other than WBC which is at 3.4 and neutrophils which are at 1.2.

#

• It is essential to know the primary reason for vitamin B12 testing. Was it done due to any complaints that could be related to anemia like fatigue, malaise, or any other symptoms that could be related to thrombotic complications possibly due to the inherited MTHFR (methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase) mutation?
  • With the inherited MTHFR mutation, it is safe to maintain optimal levels of vitamin B12 rather than the lower ones. However, elevated levels of vitamin B12 and slight leukopenia associated with neutropenia should prompt further testing to exclude myelodysplastic syndrome.
  • A review of the peripheral blood smear by a hematologist or a hematopathologist is advisable together with a comprehensive review of your primary complaints and complete blood count values.

For more information consult a hematologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/hematologist

What symptoms occur when WBC is 3.7?

Query: Hi doctor, I had a blood test a few weeks ago. Everything came back within normal range except my white blood cell count. It was slightly low (3.7) and the normal range at my laboratory is 3.8 to 10.8. The test was done because I had mild hypertension and was put on Amlodipine. I have since gone of...  Read Full »

Are recurrent miscarriages and estradiol related?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 29 year old woman with a history of recurrent miscarriages (3 losses, all in 5-6 weeks). I was recently diagnosed with Grave's disease (I had overt hyperthyroidism with my last miscarriage). Now my levels are in check. I had APS, ANA and thrombophilia panels, all perfect except...  Read Full »

My little child has fever and low WBC count. Can it be dengue fever?

Query: Hello doctor, My 3 years and 6 months old daughter was suffering from a fever of about 100 to 102 for the past three days. She had rashes throughout her whole body. We had blood tests performed and the results were negative for dengue. But, the WBC and the platelet count reduced gradually in the las...  Read Full »

Ask a Hematologist Now