Q. What can be the cause for high B12 level in a person with MTHFR mutation?

Dr. Elina Angelova Beleva
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 04, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I have genetic mutation MTHFR. I am on thyroid for hypothyroidism. My B12 level is 1476, the normal range is between 138 to 652 pmol/L. How can I lower my B12 level? Is this level a cause for concern? All the other blood levels are normal other than WBC which is at 3.4 and neutrophils which are at 1.2.

#

• It is essential to know the primary reason for vitamin B12 testing. Was it done due to any complaints that could be related to anemia like fatigue, malaise, or any other symptoms that could be related to thrombotic complications possibly due to the inherited MTHFR (methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase) mutation?
  • With the inherited MTHFR mutation, it is safe to maintain optimal levels of vitamin B12 rather than the lower ones. However, elevated levels of vitamin B12 and slight leukopenia associated with neutropenia should prompt further testing to exclude myelodysplastic syndrome.
  • A review of the peripheral blood smear by a hematologist or a hematopathologist is advisable together with a comprehensive review of your primary complaints and complete blood count values.

For more information consult a hematologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/hematologist

|