Q. I found mucous and blood in my stools. Is this normal? What should I do?

Published on Feb 20, 2015 and last reviewed on: Dec 22, 2018

I am a 22 year old female. My height is 5 feet and 6 inches, and I weigh 60 kg. A few days back, after dinner, I passed stools and while flushing, I found the stool to have mucous and blood. When I attempted to clean the anal region after defecating, I found all three tips of my fingers covered with blood. I cleaned it and checked again, and at that time, there was no blood. A few years back, I had the same complaints, but then it subsided without any treatment. I usually pass stools immediately after eating. Is this normal? What should I do? Please help.

Critical Care Physician Diabetology General Medicine Internal Medicine Medical Gastroenterology Nephrology Pulmonology (Asthma Doctors) Rheumatology
#

Following are the possibilities according to your complaints:

1. Acute dysentery.
  2. Piles (hemorrhoids).
  3. Inflammatory Bowel Disease.

You need to consult a doctor for physical examination. You will need proctoscopy (medical examination of the anal cavity with a thin tube). If the doctor finds any piles, we will have to treat them. If he feels that there are any chance of Inflammatory Bowel Disease, he will plan a colonoscopy (examination of the inside of the colon).

I also wanted to know if there is any possibility of bowel cancer being a differential diagnosis for my condition. Is there even a 0.1 % chance?

#

The chances are very low in your case. I would like to know a few more things to be more specific:

1. How many episodes have you suffered since then?
  2. Do you have any associated constipation?
  3. Do you have any frequent reddening of eyes?
  4. Do you have any weight loss or fever?
  5. Do you have any history of thyroid problem?

Revert with answers for the above.

Can constipation be related to high sugar levels?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 53-year-old female. I had gestational diabetes and 11 years later my sugar levels were high so started taking Glycomet. However, the fasting sugar level in the morning is always high and PP is less than fasting. Recent HbA1c is 6.9. Do I have to continue medicine? I walk daily ...  Read Full »

Does constipation cause burning sensation in anus?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a burning sensation in anus after bowel movements for past one week. There is no blood discharge and poop was soft. I avoid eating spicy foods. The burning sensation lasts for hours.  Read Full »

I got internal hemorrhoids and now bleeding on passing stools. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor,I am in a situation that I cannot go to any hospital for the next three weeks. That is why I am seeking help from online. I am a 27 year old female and I got internal hemorrhoids and a small grape-like clump on my bum which I got long, long ago. A month ago I got constipation and this led ...  Read Full »