HomeAnswersObstetrics and Gynecologygi bleedingDoes irritable bowel syndrome lead to bowel cancer?

My anus has a lump, and I noticed bright red blood in my toilet tissue. Is it due to bowel cancer?

Share

The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Medically reviewed by

iCliniq medical review team

Published At June 17, 2021
Reviewed AtSeptember 21, 2023

Patient's Query

I am a 28-year-old male. After using the bathroom last night, I noticed fresh, bright red blood on the toilet tissue. I see this every time whenever I wipe and again this morning when I used the toilet again. It hurt a little bit when I strained and when I wiped, it feels like I have a little lump on my anus. I suffer from loose stools for many years. Sometimes I have to use the bathroom straight after eating, and sometimes I have constipation. I have suspected IBS. IBS runs in my family. My sister and father both suffer from it. My diet is poor, and I need to start eating more healthily. I am concerned in case if this is bowel cancer. Please help.

Answered by Dr. Utkarsh Sharma

I understand your concern and will help you with it. The sight of blood after using the toilet always is terrifying. But most of the time, it just appears worse than it is. From the details that you have provided, I think you have hemorrhoids (piles). IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) can be a differential diagnosis, but IBS is a clinical diagnosis, and other entities need to be ruled out. Cancer seems to be unlikely looking at your age. You need to consult a general surgeon in person. He will do a per rectal examination and may also use a proctoscope to look for hemorrhoids. Firstly hemorrhoids need to be ruled out. Early hemorrhoids can be treated by healthy bowel habits and a healthy diet that includes an appropriate amount of dietary fiber. Hence, I suggest you visit a general surgeon first. If you have done some investigations, kindly share. Those investigations can help reach a diagnosis. I hope this helped, take care. I am looking forward to hearing from you again.

Thanks.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Utkarsh Sharma
Dr. Utkarsh Sharma

Pathology

Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Ask your health query to a doctor online

Obstetrics and Gynecology

*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy