Q. I have occasional twitches on fingers and toes. Is this a sign of Parkinson's disease?

Dr. Aida Quka
Published on Oct 24, 2019

I am a 48 years old male. A couple of months ago, I was diagnosed with a bulging disc in C6 and C7. I had pain and weakness associated with such a problem, and after some treatment, the pain subsided. Since then, my left index finger developed a twitch. Always at rest and occasionally twitching on and off most of the day. Some days I would hardly notice it at all if any. Now my left middle finger is starting to twitch the same as my index finger, and I do not notice the twitch in my index finger as I did before. And I also noticed an occasional toe twitch on either foot before falling asleep at night. I could blame the finger twitching on the, disc, but the toes on each foot make me concerned. I am concerned about Parkinson's disease. I researched all I could online. I do not have any of the other symptoms associated with the disease. I also tried to figure out the difference between tremor and twitch. It seems Parkinson's tremors are very rhythmic while mine are more sporadic twitches. I have attached a video of my index finger for your review.

Dr. Aida Quka

Neurology
#

I watched your uploaded video and would explain that your symptoms are not suggestive of Parkinson's disease. (attachment removed to protect patient identity). This kind of twitching is usually related to different causes like:

1. A pinched nerve,

2. Thyroid gland dysfunction,

3. Electrolyte imbalances,

4. High uric acid levels,

5. Anemia and

6. Vitamin D or vitamin B12 deficiency, etc.

For this reason, I would recommend performing nerve conduction studies and some blood tests: Complete blood count, PCR (polymerase chain reaction), Thyroid hormone levels, blood electrolytes, Vitamin D, and Vitamin B12 plasma levels and uric acid plasma levels.

| 

Is it possible to identify Parkinson's disease without any test?

Query: Hi doctor, I am writing this is for my father. He is 74 years old. Now, he was diagnosed to have Parkinson’s disease. The doctor just examined and said that this is Parkinson's. Is it possible to identify without going for any tests? Will Parkinson lead to death? Is coffee better for Parkinson’s...  Read Full »

I have numbing, tingling, and muscle twitching. What might help me?

Query: Hello doctor, About a month ago, I developed what I thought was a pinched nerve in my neck. I had numbing and tingling in my left arm and my hand would go numb while sleeping. However, over the next couple weeks the numbing, tingling, moved to my right arm then my legs and feet to include muscle tw...  Read Full »

What vitamin deficiency causes muscle twitching?

Query: Hi doctor, For about 10 days, I have muscle twitching in my calf, thighs and also in my eyes. I am worried about it. I got my blood test done. It showed that I have a severe vitamin B12 and vitamin D deficiency. My vitamin B12 was around 50 ng/L. Can these deficiencies be the cause for having muscl...  Read Full »