Q. I am getting head twitch for about 7 months and could not control on my own. Why?

Dr. Suresh Kumar G D
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 29, 2020 and last reviewed on: Apr 09, 2020

I am concerned about a head twitch. I have gotten in a habit for seven months of twitching my head. If I am consciously thinking about what I am doing, I can stop it. However, it is extremely difficult and I feel an overwhelming impulse to do it, similar to how one would feel when cracking his or her knuckles. It seems like it has become a habit and I do not know how to stop it. I also want to make sure there are no underlying medical conditions, however, as I mentioned, when I pay attention I can control it, even though it is difficult and uncomfortable and I have to put a lot of effort into not doing it. I read online that it may have something to do with stress or anxiety?

This is an Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the ad.

Dr. Suresh Kumar G D

Child Health Paediatrics Psychiatry
#

From your description, it looks like you are experiencing a motor tic.

Do you have any other symptoms? How old are you at present? You mentioned this tic started befor seven months. Have you experienced any tics before? Any vocal tic?

Tics can be suppressed temporarily but can be uncomfortable as you mentioned. Tics can wax and wane depending on stress, anxiety, tiredness, etc. Usually, tics are common and harmless. It is advisable to consult your doctor to clarify the diagnosis and to exclude any conditions that can mimic tic disorder.

Mild tics can be managed by stress management and relaxation exercises. If tics are severe and persistent, it can be managed by specialist therapy cognitive behavioral intervention for tics (CBIT). Sometimes medication can be used as well.

| 

After an electric shock, why does my partner still have shock-like feeling and pain in his arm?

Query: Hello doctor, My partner got an electric shock to his right arm a year ago. Ever since then, he has felt like he is constantly shocked, and he has been unable to move his arm properly. He is on 750 mg of Lyrica a day to control the shock-like feeling and pain. However, the hand movement has not retu...  Read Full »

My bicep muscle has been twitching. Is it due to ALS?

Query: Hello doctor, My bicep muscle has been twitching and my leg and arms muscles twitch occasionally. I am super anxious about ALS. I am 36 and postpartum six weeks but I cannot stop obsessing about ALS. Please help.  Read Full »

How is MND diagnosed?

Query: Hi doctor, I have recently noticed a lot of wrinkling of my skin on both my thenar muscles of the thumb. I just noticed it a month ago. I also have a dent or atrophy on the back of my right hand between the little and middle finger. I am not sure whether this is new as it seems to appear in a video ...  Read Full »