Motor Neuron Disease

How is MND diagnosed?

Query: Hi doctor, I have recently noticed a lot of wrinkling of my skin on both my thenar muscles of the thumb. I just noticed it a month ago. I also have a dent or atrophy on the back of my right hand between the little and middle finger. I am not sure whether this is new as it seems to appear in a video ...  Read Full »

Dr. Sudheer Ambekar

Neuro Surgeon, Neurologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Motor neuron disease may be a possibility for the appearance of muscle atrophy in the photographs that you have sent (attachment removed to protect patient identity). However, the definitive test for MND is ENMG, which stands for electroneuromyography. It can detect wheth...  Read Full »

Can anxiety pay way for a habit of head twitch?

Query: Hello doctor, I am concerned about a head twitch. I have gotten in a habit for seven months of twitching my head. If I am consciously thinking about what I am doing, I can stop it. However, it is extremely difficult and I feel an overwhelming impulse to do it, similar to how one would feel when cra...  Read Full »

Dr. Suresh Kumar G D

Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician, Psychiatrist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. From your description, it looks like you are experiencing a motor tic. Do you have any other symptoms? How old are you at present? You mentioned this tic started befor seven months. Have you experienced any tics before? Any vocal tic? Tics can be suppressed tempora...  Read Full »

Is muscle twitching a predominant sign of motor neuron disease?

Query: Hello doctor, For about two weeks now, I have had a twitch in my left arm (triceps) that seems to be worse when I have my arm straight and down by the side of my body and less noticeable when I have my arm over my head and bent at the elbow. The twitch seems to be worse at times without any particu...  Read Full »

Dr. Upendra K Shah

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. This is acute onset localized twitches, started after strenuous activity. This seems to be physiological twitches that are occurring due to minor muscle or nerve injury. Just check for any weakness or loss of muscle mass in the region where you are developing twitches...  Read Full »

Is death a complication of long term use of Levobren?

Query: Hi doctor, I am writing about my mother who died 22 days back at the age of 76. For nearly ten years, she suffered from bronchiectasis and was treated with Cortisone. Five years back, because of a general illness (insomnia, tremors and loss of appetite) we went to a few specialists such as dietician...  Read Full »

Dr. Sudheer Ambekar

Neuro Surgeon, Neurologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Sorry to hear about your mother. Sluggishness, vomiting and sopor (abnormally deep sleep) are the common side effects. Also, long-term use may lead to dystonia. From the given information, I will not be able to exactly pinpoint the cause of death. However, I believe the t...  Read Full »

I have a strange sensation in my leg for around two years. Could it be MND?

Query: Hello doctor,I have a strange sensation in my leg for around two years. It usually only affects the lower half of the left leg and foot but has recently encompassed the upper sections. This is accentuated when walking and more so when the pace gets quicker. The feelings feel as if my lower leg and f...  Read Full »

Dr. Alka

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I read your query. As per your symptoms, there can be chances of MND. In MND, there are also other symptoms, and there are chances of underlying sclerosis. But you can not rule it out on your own. You need a clinical examination by a trained physician. So I advise yo...  Read Full »

Does muscle twitching along with tingling mean motor neuron disease?

Query: Hello doctor,Six weeks ago, I started to get muscle twitches all over my body and tingling sensations in my skin. This is still happening. I visited my GP four weeks ago who immediately prescribed anti-depressants. I have suffered from health anxiety for the last seven years. It comes in waves. The ...  Read Full »

Dr. Aida Quka

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I read carefully your question and would explain that your symptoms are not typical of motor neuron disease. You are right to say that this disorder is associated with other symptoms besides muscle twitching. From the other hand it does not cause sensibility problems...  Read Full »

Can you review my EMG, and reassure me that it is not ALS?

Query: Hi doctor, I want a review of EMG analysis to reassure it to be unlikely ALS onset. My knee and arm reflexes were normal, as were the strength tests. Does "good recruitment" in the presence of atrial fibrillation and occasional positive waves point away from ALS or MND? In those cases, would not th...  Read Full »

Andrologist, General Practitioner, Geriatrician, Psychiatrist, Psychologist Counsellor, Psychotherapist, Sexologist

Answer: Hi,Welcome to icliniq.com.I read your query and understand your concerns.First of all, I would like to inform you that the available EMG (electromyography) report do not suggest anything which is found in motor neuron disease. My observation is based on the following facts:There are no fasciculatio...  Read Full »

I have spasms and pins and needles sensation in my hand. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor, I am having spasms in my hand. I had it briefly in the left hand and then, my right arm was feeling numb. This morning my right hand has spasms on all fingers at different occasions with some pins and needle feeling. Please help.  Read Full »

Dr. Sudheer Ambekar

Neuro Surgeon, Neurologist

Answer: Hello,Welcome to icliniq.com.You might have nerve compression from cervical spondylitis.Please consult your GP to get an MRI of the neck.For further information consult a neurologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/neurologist  Read Full »