Q. How can muscular dystrophy be controlled?

Dr. Hafiz Muhammad Hassan Shoukat

What is the procedure to control muscular dystrophy?

#

Most of the muscular dystrophies are genetic diseases, like myotonic dystrophies, Duchan- baker dystrophy. If someone has that, no treatment discovered yet, we did not have anything to cure disease, rather diseases are progressive. But dystrophy is due to some medication like statins medication or steroids, we can discontinue medicine and dystrophy will be reversed. Hopefully, I answered your questions. In the meantime, an aggressive fluid should be given to prevent kidney failure.

Is there a possibility that it will not increase with medication? And the condition will not worsen?

#

If it is a genetic form of muscular dystrophy, no medicine available to even halt progression. Do you know which kind of dystrophy is that? I can do more research if any experimental therapy is available in laboratories.

We have done a muscle biopsy. Should I send you the reports of the same?

#

Yes, the biopsy report definitely shows muscle degeneration. Kindly tell me whether he was taking any medication? What are his symptoms? Like leg weakness? For how long he has all these complaints? Is he able to walk? Anyone else in the family with the same complaints? Also, some studies have shown that steroids may decrease progression in some forms of dystrophies.

He has this problem for around eight years now and nobody in the family has this problem. He is able to walk but abnormally. He has larger than normal calf muscles and has a problem in his hip region. He is not on any kind of medication as of now. But he used to take some vitamin and mineral tablets earlier.

#

Looks like he might have Baker's muscular dystrophy. If he is still able to walk, it shows that his disease is a relatively milder variant. First, it is likey a progressive disease, but in Baker's we can use steroids that have shown some decrease in progression. I would advice starting on Prednisone 40 mg daily, if there is an improvement in muscle strength or his posture is more stabilized after two weeks of treatment, Contine medication, even if no improvement, do not stop this abruptly. While stopping, take 20 mg for one week and 10 mg for one week then stop. Another important thing, he will need an echocardiogram, to rule out any heart muscle hypertrophy. Start on Calcium supplements 800 mg daily and Vitamin D 400 IU. He needs to do genital excercises but no intense exercise or running. So, the following things are important. Good diet, Calcium, Vitamin supplements, Prednisone, if it works. May need surgery for a back hunch, maybe in future.

Thank you so much.

#

You are most welcome.

|