Muscular Dystrophy

My kid has tongue tremor. What are the other symptoms should I look for to detect SMA?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a 2.5-month-old who I recently noticed developed a tongue tremor. I looked up online for the causes and found them as SMA. She has great motor control, we were not doing tummy time as often because she did not like it but have increased it and have seen a big improvement. My d...  Read Full »

Dr. Atiqur Rahman Khan

Paediatrician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. History noted as above, your 2.5-month-old has developed tongue tremors. Please provide me more detailed history such as preterm or full term, birth weight, normal delivery or LSCS. How is her weight? Is she gaining weight and let me know more about family history o...  Read Full »

CK and ALP test results are attached. What is the name of this disease?

Query: Hello doctor, My 8-year-old nephew is suffering from an unknown disease. We did two tests as suggested by the doctors. The names of the tests are CK and ALP. I am attaching the reports herewith. The doctors suggest that there is no treatment for these diseases. He walks with the help of his toes by...  Read Full »

Dr. Nazma Parveen

Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through the attachments (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The symptoms you described and the CPK (creatine phosphokinase) result indicate a muscular dystrophy. Unfortunately, this does not have any cure as of now. I would stil...  Read Full »

Why is there low creatinine levels for the past four months?

Query: Hello doctor, I have had very low creatinine levels for more than four months (low 11 highest 68) normal is 110 to 135. Do you think there is an issue?  Read Full »

Dr. Muhammad M. Hanif Md.

Cardiologist, Criticalcare Physician, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand your worries. Low creatinine levels are caused by low muscle mass either due to age or a disease like muscular dystrophy (MD) that may be causing muscles to deteriorate. The liver makes creatinine and if liver functions are compromised, it can also lead...  Read Full »

Which disease can cause a child to suddenly lose the ability to walk?

Query: Dear doctor, My father-in-law had a son. He grew up like a normal child till the age of around 10 to 12 years. Suddenly, he was diseased and he was not able to walk properly and after some days, he completely lost power in both the legs and permanently lost his ability to walk. Could you tell me wh...  Read Full »

Dr. Deepak Kishore

Paediatrician, Paediatric Surgeon, General Surgeon

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is likely that he could be suffering from one of the types of muscular dystrophy. It is most of the time, X-chromosome linked. Usually, the male children get affected and the females are carriers. For further queries, post a detailed history and ask a doctor online...  Read Full »

My 2 year old son has Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy. Will he walk?

Query: Hello doctor,My youngest son is 2 and a half years old. Currently, he is crawling, and he is a delay in walking. I bought him for the child development clinic at the hospital. They have sent his blood sample to another country, and the result says that he has Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy. Kindly advi...  Read Full »

Dr. Alka

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is a genetic disorder. I am sorry to say this, as this disease has a poor prognosis. You need to visit a medical genetic specialist. Physical therapy, braces, etc. are common management. Along with that if you want to go for alternative treatment, then try Ayurvedic...  Read Full »

What is the procedure to control muscular dystrophy?

Query: Hello doctor, What is the procedure to control muscular dystrophy?  Read Full »

Dr. Hafiz Muhammad Hassan Shoukat

Family Physician, General Practitioner, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Most of the muscular dystrophies are genetic diseases, like myotonic dystrophies, Duchan- baker dystrophy. If someone has that, no treatment discovered yet, we did not have anything to cure disease, rather diseases are progressive. But dystrophy is due to some medicatio...  Read Full »

After an electric shock, why does my partner still have shock-like feeling and pain in his arm?

Query: Hello doctor, My partner got an electric shock to his right arm a year ago. Ever since then, he has felt like he is constantly shocked, and he has been unable to move his arm properly. He is on 750 mg of Lyrica a day to control the shock-like feeling and pain. However, the hand movement has not retu...  Read Full »

Dr. Ramesh Kumar S

Internal Medicine Physician, Medical Gastroenterologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Cases of motor neuron disease are seen after electric shocks. Most likely, your partner is experiencing wasting of muscles due to motor neuron disease post the electric shock. A motor neuron (or motoneuron) is a nerve cell, which directly or indirectly controls the effect...  Read Full »

How can I stop losing muscle mass?

Query: Hi doctor, I did exercises to relax and tighten the neck muscles. The exercises that I did has affected my entire body. I have lost muscle mass all over my body, and I have gained muscles in thighs and all the wrong places. I eat apples to stop muscle loss, as I read that eating apple stops muscula...  Read Full »

Dr. Shakti Mishra

Fitness Expert, Nutritionist, Physiotherapist, Yoga Specialist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Can you tell me what kind of exercises you did that resulted in such a situation? If you did exercises of the neck, then it cannot move the muscles on gluteus or back. I suggest you try doing the following. Go for a full body checkup. Stop doing exercises abruptly. Have...  Read Full »

What is the cause and treatment of muscular dystrophy?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been diagnosed with muscular dystrophy, and it said I show early features of this muscle disease. But my CPK-MB, ECG, echocardiogram, and chest x-ray all came back normal. I have been down with this serious weakness since I was five years old, but I was diagnosed this year. I us...  Read Full »

Dr. Hitesh Kumar

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Muscle dystrophy is a genetic disease affecting muscles and sometimes other organs of the body, it progresses gradually. There are many types of muscle dystrophies. CPK value is usually high in such cases, but in late stages. If muscle mass is severely atrophied, then...  Read Full »