Q. What is the cause and treatment of muscular dystrophy?

Dr. Hitesh Kumar
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 18, 2017 and last reviewed on: Jul 26, 2021

I have been diagnosed with muscular dystrophy, and it said I show early features of this muscle disease. But my CPK-MB, ECG, echocardiogram, and chest x-ray all came back normal. I have been down with this serious weakness since I was five years old, but I was diagnosed this year. I used to breathe hard and fall frequently, but it has all stopped now. I still feel weak, stand with my legs crossed, have a waddling gait, and stand up with great difficulty. What might be the cause?

#

• Muscle dystrophy is a genetic disease affecting muscles and sometimes other organs of the body, it progresses gradually. There are many types of muscle dystrophies.
  • CPK value is usually high in such cases, but in late stages. If muscle mass is severely atrophied, then CPK can be normal too.
  • And unfortunately, there is no curative treatment for this disease. You should do regular physiotherapy to keep joints moving properly and preventing contractures to develop.

For more information consult a neurologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/neurologist

|