Q. I suffer from deep muscle and joint pain with inflammation throughout my entire body. Why?

Dr. Sugreev Singh
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 15, 2020 and last reviewed on: Mar 06, 2021

I am a 51-year-old female, and I am a T2 diabetic. I have Hashimoto's disease, and my thyroid swings the pendulum from over to underactive at least 3x a year, so medicines are adjusted accordingly. My iron is low, and ferritin is 10. Regular blood tests show high cholesterol, normal liver enzymes, and normal WCB. I also have creatinine in range.

I suffer from deep muscle pain, joint pain, and inflammation throughout my entire body. I wake up swollen and tense, and it takes an hour to walk without discomfort. My head feels like it weighs 100 lbs, and my neck is stiff - I mean reduced ability to turn each way. I cannot check sideways while driving; I have limited movement to look back. I also feel trembling in my heart or chest area. It is not flippy, fluttering. It is actual shaking, vibrating, trembling. I do not know if it is in the heart or chest. I cannot tell. I was diagnosed with pre beats and presyncope a year ago, where I was told one chamber moves faster than the other. I had a CT with dye, and it came back normal for whatever they are looking for. I know my iron is very low and was sent to an internist who said if they cannot get it up, he suggests IV iron.

There is persistent body inflammation, no edema, but more like my fascia feels like it is inflamed and that it is very thick and heavy. Rings do not come off in the morning. There is facial swelling. Anytime I get even slightly hot or stressed, my face swells up (puffs up). I have chest tremble, heart palpitations occasionally, heavy head, neck movement restricted tight like a rock on shoulders and back, overall joints, muscles, and mobility seem to be declining. I keep dropping things.

Can you give me any insight into what I can do to get these issues looked at and what possibilities there maybe? I do not feel like my doctor is hearing me. She just says take Aspirin. Am I getting MS or Parkinson's?

Thanks.

#

Thank you for writing us, and I am concerned about you. Actually, looking at your history, we cannot say that you have MS or Parkinsons. There can be various reasons for such pain and muscle spasm in the neck region. First of all, as you have mentioned, you have low iron for long. Yes, that could be the reason for your weakness and body ache. Another one is if bone marrow function can be impaired due to long-term anemia. So it is possible your bones are not strong enough to produce enough blood cells, and you always lack normal body function. There can be a herniated disc or slip disc in the neck region, so you can go for MRI or scan reasons to look out what is actually going on there. As you mentioned, you had some heart pathology, but later on, it was diagnosed as normal. What about your blood pressure? Is it high or low? If it is high, then there are chances your headache is associated with that. Your history represents your endocrine symptoms are lacking to function normally like thyroid and sugar etc. So I would recommend you to consult an endocrinologist with all your history and reports and do further testing if needed and make a confirmed diagnosis.

|