Q. I have an ingrown toenail which is infected. What do I do?

Dr. Akshay Kumar Saxena
Published on Aug 18, 2015 and last reviewed on: Jan 23, 2019

I have an ingrown toenail and it has got infected. I suffer from a lot of pain while wearing shoes. I have this pea-sized bubble like thing which bleeds on the side of my toenail. I have attached a picture of my toenail. It is a swelling, and I wonder what can I do to take it away, other than surgery?

Dr. Akshay Kumar Saxena

Orthopedics And Traumatology Spine Surgery
#

Welcome to icliniq.com.I have seen your clinical picture and gone through your query (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

I would strongly advise you to undergo a partial nail excision, debridement and daily dressing of the wound until it shows healthy granulation tissue. It is because unless you remove the offending portion of the nail, the wound will not settle down.

I would rather call it a procedure rather than a surgery, which can be done with local anesthesia (ring block) and in OPD procedure room. Other than surgery, just the debridement and daily dressings can be tried, but once again I would like to tell you that unless the portion of the nail which is curved inside and impinging the skin is excised, this wound may not settle down.

Also, a broad spectrum antibiotic will be required until the wound heals satisfactorily.

I am having bleeding and pus discharge from toenail. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor, I have toenail problem. I had bleeding and pus formation. I consulted a doctor and she had prescribed the following treatment. Tablet Novamox CV 625 three times a day for five days. Apply T-bact ointment twice a day. After taking the above treatment, the pus formation stopped. But there ...  Read Full »

After a toenail injury, there is a gap between the nail and the nail bed. What to do?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a question here. I had a toenail injury last month (cause: fell down, toe landing first onto the floor, which made the nail get loosened). I did go to the hospital to get it treated. The doctor cut off half of my nail, cleaned and dressed it, and kept re-visiting to get the dressi...  Read Full »

What is the cause for seperation of nail from nail bed?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 50 years old female, went through menopause but otherwise I am healthy. There is a problem with my nails. Out of 10 nails, six nails have one-third of the nails separated from the nail beds, with a v shape, looking white underneath, rest of the nails are looking pinkish pale. The na...  Read Full »

Ask a Family Physician Now