Q. I have pain and blisters in the big toe whenever I wear shoes. Please guide me.

Dr. Rashmi Singh
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 13, 2017 and last reviewed on: Aug 25, 2022

I have had this ongoing pain in the toe of my right foot since some time now. If I wear shoes for a long duration, then invariably small blisters develop. Recently, pus had collected after a four-hour journey wearing shoes and as soon as I plucked the skin tip which I generally keep doing, it oozed out. I normally do not wear shoes, except for once in a month or two, but the toe is very sensitive to pain all the time. If I hit it against something even lightly, it pains quite a lot. It feels like the toenail is pushing against the skin at the end. Kindly suggest a remedy.

#

I read your query and went through your images (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

There could be two possibilities in your case:

Your shoes have been ill-fittingand have caused trauma because of which you have repeated infection and pain due to pressure damage that has already been caused to the toes and nails. To remedy this, try to not wear a closed shoe for a while, say 15 to 20 days and see if it improves.

Although it does not look so from pictures, your history is also consistent with ingrown nails. It causes pain and repeated infections too. I would advise you to meet a dermatologist and get the possibility of an ingrown nail ruled out. If there is an ingrown nail, a small procedure can help solve your problem.

I hope I was able to address your concern.

Thank you for the prompt response.

I do not usually wear shoes. I wore them the day before yesterday and before that it was almost a month ago. In the meantime, I did not develop blisters, but the pain was persistent and pronounced when the toe came in contact with a hard surface. Thank you for the suggestion. I will surely visit a dermatologist and get back to you.

Have a nice day.

#

It may be possible that you get a similar presentation from an old trauma or excess friction. The big toe is generally a very common site for a blister formation due to the biomechanics of that joint. Changing your footwear to something with softer pads helps a lot and try double-layered socks. And yes, like advised earlier, getting your nails checked would also be a good option.

|