Nail Injury

How to treat the reddish brown mark present on my pointer fingernail?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a reddish-brown mark on my pointer fingernail. It is clear with sharp edges. I noticed it before a month at the base of the nail. Now it has moved down in the nail. I am trying to figure out the cause.   Read Full »

Dr. Sneha Mariam Varghese

Venereologist, Dermatologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through the photo (attachment removed to protect patient identity). There is a collection of blood or fluid under the nail after a trauma to the nail or it can occur due to a side effect of NSAID (nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs) if you had taken it rec...  Read Full »

How to treat exposed nail bed due to nail biting?

Query: Hello doctor, I am having a problem with my thumbnail. I usually wear fake gel nails. I have a habit of biting them off. Once when I bit my nail, the middle portion came off, leaving underneath of the nail exposed. It has been about three weeks. As the nail started to grow, it was growing out like ...  Read Full »

Dr. Ashwini V Swamy

Venereologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The picture (attachment removed to protect patient identity) looks like a small bumpy growth. I am not able to see it clearly if it is flat or bumpy. For me, it looks like pyogenic granuloma. It is a benign growth made of small blood capillaries. It is usu...  Read Full »

How to get rid of black lines on toenails?

Query: Hello doctor, I can see a very light straight black line in my toenail. And in size, it is very small. Can you help me to know why it is?  Read Full »

Dr. Shama Naaz

Dermatologist, Venereologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Black lines overs toes can be due to numerous reasons, but commonly it occurs with previous trauma to the nails, which causes the breakdown of capillaries in the nail bed. It could be due to pigment deposition due to certain medications like antimalarials. It is also...  Read Full »

My toe nail got injured with a plate and a tiny spot appeared under my nail. What is it?

Query: Hello, I am a 29 year old male and found a tiny spot which seems to be under my nail. About 6 months ago I dropped a big plate on my toe and it became blue due to the impact. I couldn't walk for 2 weeks and once the blue was gone, my nail became yellow / gold color at the tip and I think a yeast in...  Read Full »

Dr. Payal Chauhan

Dermatologist, Venereologist

Answer: Hello, I understand your concern. 1. Though it looks like Blue nevus , it is extremely rare in subungual location, that too aquired. Only a few reports till now in the literature. 2. Though benign/harmless in most of the cases, rarely malignant transformation can occur , which is indicated by sud...  Read Full »

I have smashed thumb with swelling and blood clot and do not want nail removal. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, I have a smashed thumb by the cricket ball. I was hit last week and there is blood clot under my nail. Thus I am still having pain in my finger and it is swollen. Now the pain reduced a bit but the swelling is unchanged and because of it I am still having pain and I cannot bend my fin...  Read Full »

Dr. Sandhya

Family Physician, General Practitioner, Venereologist, Dermatologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. After careful analysis of your history, it looks like a hematoma of the nail bed or contusion. Since you have mentioned that X-ray reports were negative, you do not have to worry about anything serious. Firstly, I would suggest you not to rely on any other informatio...  Read Full »

After a toenail injury, there is a gap between the nail and the nail bed. What to do?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a question here. I had a toenail injury last month (cause: fell down, toe landing first onto the floor, which made the nail get loosened). I did go to the hospital to get it treated. The doctor cut off half of my nail, cleaned and dressed it, and kept re-visiting to get the dressi...  Read Full »

Dr. Meha Malhotra

Dermatologist, HIV AIDS Specialist, Venereologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your worry. I think you need to follow your doctor's advice (get the nail removed surgically), as it seems that the nail is detached from its bed. But get the procedure done only by a surgeon or a dermatologist. And get it done as soon as possible, because ...  Read Full »

I injured my nail and it has turned dark. Will it heal on its own or fall off?

Query: Hello doctor, I recently (a few hours ago), had my finger hurt by a pan really hard. A part of my nail has turned black and the remaining part is a healthy pink. I have a throbbing pain. Will it heal on its own (growing the fingernail out) or will the nail turn dead and fall off?  Read Full »

Cosmetologist, Dermatologist, Family Physician, General Practitioner, HIV AIDS Specialist, Venereologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. If your fingernail is totally black, it will fall off automatically within one or two months. Since it is half black and is paining severely, it is advisable to visit a surgeon. A surgeon will assess the condition and will do the needful. The blackness is due to necros...  Read Full »