Q. I hurt my fingernail, it has turned black and paining very badly. Please help.

This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 13, 2014 and last reviewed on: Nov 19, 2018

I recently (a few hours ago), had my finger hurt by a pan really hard. A part of my nail has turned black and the remaining part is a healthy pink. I have a throbbing pain. Will it heal on its own (growing the fingernail out) or will the nail turn dead and fall off?

#

If your fingernail is totally black, it will fall off automatically within one or two months. Since it is half black and is paining severely, it is advisable to visit a surgeon. A surgeon will assess the condition and will do the needful.

The blackness is due to necrosis and can lead to infection if not treated on time. There are chances of bone involvement which can lead to complications.

Meanwhile, you can start taking Amoxycillin-Clavulanic acid 625 mg twice daily for 10 days to prevent the spread of infection.

|