Q. I have faint black lines on my toenail. Please help.

Dr. Shama Naaz

I can see a very light straight black line in my toenail. And in size, it is very small. Can you help me to know why it is?

#

Black lines overs toes can be due to numerous reasons, but commonly it occurs with previous trauma to the nails, which causes the breakdown of capillaries in the nail bed. It could be due to pigment deposition due to certain medications like antimalarials.

It is also associated with nutritional deficiency disorder and certain inflammatory diseases like lichen planus, scleroderma. To know the exact cause, there is a test called onychoscopy.

It is not causing any pain. Is it melanoma?

#

Usually, signs of nail melanoma are slow growth of the black band to occupy larger areas of the nail. The black lesion can occupy your cuticles and skin of fingers. There will be brittle nails and cracking. It may be associated with swelling and bleeding. There will be color changes (multiple colors) and fading of margins.

If these signs are not present, then there is very little chance of being a melanoma. But if you notice any of the above changes, then please go for the proper investigations.

|