Q. What treatment can be done for smashed thumb with swelling and blood clot except nail removal?

Dr. Sandhya
Published on Dec 21, 2018

I have a smashed thumb by the cricket ball. I was hit last week and there is blood clot under my nail. Thus I am still having pain in my finger and it is swollen. Now the pain reduced a bit but the swelling is unchanged and because of it I am still having pain and I cannot bend my finger. I showed myself to a doctor and he gave me some medicines and also I had an X-ray of the finger and the reports were good. Because there was not a lot of progress I went to the doctor again but my earlier doctor was not present and another doctor observed me and told to remove the nail. He told me to consult with a surgery specialist and he will tell me what to do. I do not want to remove the nail and for that, I have found the solution that by making a small hole through the nail, blood can be removed. Now please tell me what should I do.

Dr. Sandhya

Family Physician General Practitioner
#

After careful analysis of your history, it looks like a hematoma of the nail bed or contusion. Since you have mentioned that X-ray reports were negative, you do not have to worry about anything serious. Firstly, I would suggest you not to rely on any other information from anywhere as all of it is not right, and it would do more harm than good when not done under supervision. That is what doctors and specialists are for. Secondly, it seems like you have a dead nail as a result of the trauma, and if the doctor you consulted with has suggested you for a nail removal, do follow his or her advice. I know nail removal is a dreadful thought for people, but, that is normal. It would be done under anaesthesia and is a very simple and quick procedure. And your nail will grow back in time as well. So do not hesitate to carry the needed procedure out. As of now, do not do any procedures on your own. It would cause deep infections and may get worse. Stay healthy and be positive.

Frostbite

Article Overview: Injury to the skin caused by exposure to extreme cold is called frostbite. This happens when you are exposed to temperatures below the freezing point of your skin. Read Article

Dr. Sneha Kannan
General Medicine Physician

What is Frostbite ? Injury to the skin caused by exposure to extreme cold is called frostbite. This happens when you are exposed to temperatures below the freezing point of your skin. Exposed skin in cold and windy weather is most susceptible to frostbite, but it can also occur on skin covered by c...  Read Article

Menopause

Article Overview: Menopause is not a disease or a condition, but a normal part of life when a woman ceases to menstruate and is no longer fertile. Menopausal symptoms occur a few months to years before and after the last period.  Read Article

Dr. Sneha Kannan

All you need to know about Menopause Menopause is not a disease or a condition, but a normal part of life when a woman ceases to menstruate and is no longer fertile. Menopausal symptoms occur a few months to years before and after the last period. The average age of menopause is between 49 and 52 y...  Read Article

Why does my thumb quiver while holding anything?

Query: Hi doctor,I am 23 years old. I have been having some problems with my thumb. My thumb starts shaking when I use my smartphone or hold a remote control. It started with numbness right below the nail of my thumb. The numbness went away but now it shakes up, down, left, and right. Sometimes, it goes aw...  Read Full »

Ask a Family Physician Now