Q. My nails are itchy, yellow and break easily. Kindly advise the treatment.

Dr. Rabia

Nails are itchy, yellow looking, break easily and it has probably been more than six months and getting worse.

#

Welcome to iclinq.com.

It would be great if you could attach pictures of your nails for proper diagnosis and treatment. You see there can be different reasons for that, it might be onychomycosis (fungal infection of nails) or may be weathering of nails. So, please kindly attach pictures for that because treatment gets different.

I ignore the problem because I thought it was due to nail polish but I have tried over-the-counter creams and it is not helping. Nails continue to break and get more yellow.

#

It is fungal infection you see (onychomycosis in dermatological terms) (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Are both finger and foot nails involved? You have to start with oral antifungals in the form of pulse therapy (one week every month for three months) and put drops of topical antifungal lotion on both sides of nails in folds. Maintain hygiene of the nails, avoid nail polish, etc., on nails.

Onychomycosis.

Capsule Itraconazole 100 mg two in the morning and two in the evening for one week, then break for three weeks, repeat course next month for one week. Then break for three weeks, then repeat the course for one week. Apply Clotrimazole lotion on both sides of nails in folds BD (continuous).

Maintain hygiene of area, wash with soap and water, avoid using Dettol and other irritants.

Just toes. The treatment sounds good.

#

Okay, get well soon.

|