Q. My nails are itchy, yellow and break easily. Kindly advise the treatment.

Dr. Rabia

Nails are itchy, yellow looking, break easily and it has probably been more than six months and getting worse.

Dr. Rabia

Dermatology
#

Welcome to iclinq.com.

It would be great if you could attach pictures of your nails for proper diagnosis and treatment. You see there can be different reasons for that, it might be onychomycosis (fungal infection of nails) or may be weathering of nails. So, please kindly attach pictures for that because treatment gets different.

| 

I ignore the problem because I thought it was due to nail polish but I have tried over-the-counter creams and it is not helping. Nails continue to break and get more yellow.

Dr. Rabia

Dermatology
#

It is fungal infection you see (onychomycosis in dermatological terms) (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Are both finger and foot nails involved? You have to start with oral antifungals in the form of pulse therapy (one week every month for three months) and put drops of topical antifungal lotion on both sides of nails in folds. Maintain hygiene of the nails, avoid nail polish, etc., on nails.

Onychomycosis.

Capsule Itraconazole 100 mg two in the morning and two in the evening for one week, then break for three weeks, repeat course next month for one week. Then break for three weeks, then repeat the course for one week. Apply Clotrimazole lotion on both sides of nails in folds BD (continuous).

Maintain hygiene of area, wash with soap and water, avoid using Dettol and other irritants.

| 

Just toes. The treatment sounds good.

Why is my toenail attached to the skin underneath?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 54 year old male. My height is 165 cm and weight is 62 kg. Currently, I take Stamlo 5 twice a day and Eltroxin 50 mcg once daily. I have dry feet. I keep using foot care cream to make my feet look normal. My toe nails seem to stick with the skin as they grow. I have attached the p...  Read Full »

What causes black lines on skin and nails?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 25 year old female. Two years back I had noticed a very thin black straight line on my nail in the right hand finger. This line is growing along as my nail grows. Though the line was thin initially, now it has increased in its width and thickness. When I searched in the net abo...  Read Full »

Nails appear to be unfixed in the skin. Can this issue be treated?

Query: Hello doctor, My friend's daughter is suffering from nails problem in both hands and legs. She is a 14-year-old girl now. The problem started when she was a 2-year-old baby. The nails appear to be unfixed in the skin because they would easily be pulled out when they are stuck in clothes' fabric, fo...  Read Full »

COVID-19 and MIS-C (Multisystem Inflammatory Syndrome in Children)
MIS-C is a potentially fatal condition that affects children infected with COVID-19. Please read the article to know its...  Read more»
I have fever, severe headache, and cough. Please help me.
I have fever since five days. My fever comes down when I take medicine but eventually comes back. I also have severe hea...  Read more»
Brucellosis - Symptoms, Complications, Diagnosis, and Treatment
Brucellosis, a zoonosis, is caused by consuming unpasteurized milk or raw meat obtained from infected animals. For sympt...  Read more»