Nail Pigmentation

What causes black lines on skin and nails?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 25 year old female. Two years back I had noticed a very thin black straight line on my nail in the right hand finger. This line is growing along as my nail grows. Though the line was thin initially, now it has increased in its width and thickness. When I searched in the net abo...  Read Full »

Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney

Cosmetologist, Dermatologist, Venereologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand your concern. I have gone through the attached picture (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Presence of linear pigmented lines on the nails can be due to multiple causes. In white people they are considered abnormal and require thorou...  Read Full »

Why are my nails itchy, yellow and breaks easily?

Query: Hello doctor, Nails are itchy, yellow looking, break easily and it has probably been more than six months and getting worse.  Read Full »

Dr. Rabia

Answer: Hi, Welcome to iclinq.com. It would be great if you could attach pictures of your nails for proper diagnosis and treatment. You see there can be different reasons for that, it might be onychomycosis (fungal infection of nails) or may be weathering of nails. So, please kindly attach pictures for th...  Read Full »

Does low Hb count cause paleness of nails and tongue?

Query: Hello doctor, I have little spots here and there along with white discharge. I had PCOD problem previously. I took a scan last month and the report was normal. I feel like my Hb count is low. I am feeling very tired and sleepy. Are these spots because of the low Hb count? Prescribe some ways to impr...  Read Full »

Dr. Saravan Pramod Settipalli

General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Family Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I read your query. Your scan report was normal (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Different types of infections may cause itching or an abnormal discharge. These include: Infections that spread during sexual contact. These include chlamydia, gono...  Read Full »

Are my dark nails normal?

Query: Hello doctor,These are my nail picture. Are they normal? I think they are little dark. My mom says I had this kind of nails from childhood. I am physically active gymmer for last two years. I play cricket at the professional level. Just want to confirm and get peace of mind. I had full body blood te...  Read Full »

Dr. Sandeep Golla

Dermatologist, Venereologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I saw your pictures (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Nails are absolutely normal with minimal pitting in few nails which is considered as normal physiological changes in many individuals and dryness in proximal nail folds in few nails, for which you can...  Read Full »

My daughter has a vertical dark streak along her finger nail. What do you suggest?

Query: Hello doctor,My daughter has a vertical dark streak along her nail on the middle finger only. It has been there for three months now. There is no known trauma.Could I ask what you suggest we should do? It seems to be darker than before. We went to a dermatologist and they told us not to worry becaus...  Read Full »

Cosmetologist, Dermatologist, Family Physician, General Practitioner, HIV AIDS Specialist, Plastic Surgeon, Venereologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. At present, she is suffering from longitudinal melanonychia. It is due to the overactivity of the melanocytes, leading to more melanin synthesis. At present, there is no sign of malignancy. Nevertheless, a biopsy is required to confirm the diagnosis. Hope it helps. Re...  Read Full »