Nasal Endoscopy

Can eustachian tube blockage be diagnosed using a sinus x-ray?

Query: Hello I have a couple of questions first can a sinus X-ray show if your Eustachian tube are closed or not. Or do the ent have to go up your nose to find out. I had a sinus infection and nasal drip my ears are clogged I went to my doctor he said I had fluid and an ear infection and sent me to a ent a...  Read Full »

Dr. B Vageesh Padiyar

Answer: Hi! Before I explain and answer your questions, I will take a little of your time to explain what has probably happend in your case. The eustachian tube basically ventilates the nose and the ear. In a situation where it does not function, a negative pressure develops in the side of the ear leading...  Read Full »

Can a sinus infection cause swollen salivary glands?

Query: Hello doctor, I went to the ER for a painful gland. It turned out that I have a blocked salivary gland. When the CT scan was taken, there were notes in the report about silent sinus syndrome and other things that were never even brought up to me. I have uploaded the report. Is there anything in t...  Read Full »

Dr. Mehak Agarwal

Diabetologist, Family Physician, ENT Otolaryngologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen the attached report (attachment removed to protect patient identity). There is a calcification in the left submandibular gland, which needs to be removed, as it is troubling you. Silent sinus syndrome is due to maxillary sinusitis, which involves the orb...  Read Full »

I think a spider went up to my right nostril and my nose has been blocked and sore. Kindly advice.

Query: Hello doctor, I think a spider went up to my right nostril yesterday morning and I am worried about it and frightened. Since then, my nose has been blocked and sore.  Read Full »

Dr. C Elanchezhian

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Spider or any insect can go inside the nose, mostly come through the mouth. You are telling in the morning that means you aware of it. You might have been sneezing or blow it. The nasal block may be due to allergic mucus secretion. If you are feeling spider struck in...  Read Full »

I get tinnitus with breathing difficulty and anxiety. Why?

Query: Hi doctor, About two years ago, I was playing a video game while wearing a headset with fairly loud burst sounds from time to time, and I noticed a small hissing sound was present in my ears or head when I was getting off my PC. I have always used headsets for long hours before this occurred. Ever ...  Read Full »

Dr. Dheeraj Kumar Jonnalagadda

ENT Otolaryngologist, Allergy Specialist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Exposure to loud sounds creates pressure over your nerve of hearing and can evoke tinnitus. Hence, I advise you to use minimal sound during games. The pain in and around your ears is due to excessive usage of headset around your ears. For your nasal obstruction, you sho...  Read Full »

Could sinus infection cause autophony?

Query: Hi doctor, I had a sinus problem and got cleared before two months. Now, I have been suffering from autophony in one ear for the past two months after the sinus surgery. I used to clench my jaw a lot during sinus issue and there is some jaw pain. All my audiometry and pressure tests are normal. Also...  Read Full »

Dr. Mehak Agarwal

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Autophony can be due to the patulous eustachian tube. It is more common in female, hyperthyroidism, sudden weight loss, post pregnancy, etc. Since you had a sinus infection, it could have masked eustachian tube and you were not having this problem. Ringing sound (not auto...  Read Full »

Does the MRI of my head show any TMJ problem?

Query: Hello doctor, It has been a long tiring search to find out what is wrong with me and I want to get a second opinion on the MRI of my head. The main symptoms I am having for three months are a constant sore throat, right ear feels clogged, ringing in ears at times, eyes are red all the time and sting...  Read Full »

Dr. Kumar M

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through the reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity) Can you please send me CT of paranasal sinuses, facial bones, inner ear, and neck. Have you ever consulted an ENT specialist before? You need to do a diagnostic endoscopic study of nose, thr...  Read Full »

I have fluid in my middle ear. Is there any way to clear it?

Query: Hello doctor, My GP says I have fluid in my middle ear especially in my right ear. I have tried antibiotics and using a nasal spray for two weeks. This has been going on for six weeks. Is there any way to clear it or like my GP says will it just take time? Can this also make you feel slightly off ...  Read Full »

Allergy Specialist, General Practitioner, ENT Otolaryngologist, Family Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Fluid in the middle ear is called serous otitis media (glue ear or otitis media with effusion). What we do in such patients is give medical management (antibiotics, decongestants, mucolytics, nasal sprays) and if it fails we go for myringotomy and grommet insertion. ...  Read Full »

I have sinusitis and feel like something is stuck in my neck. What can be done?

Query: Hi doctor, I have got chronic sinusitis diagnosed by ENT doctor. I am suffering from difficulties of swelling for months, feel like something is stuck in my neck like sputum or something else that is moving up and down, especially while eating or having flu. Do you think it is related to ENT or I h...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello,Welcome to icliniq.com.In such a patient what we would do is a laryngoscopy. Just to rule out any growth or inflammation. Chronic sinusitis due to contact post nasal drip tends to cause reflux-related symptoms and globus feeling. Secondly, we need to check your hemoglobin status to rule out Pl...  Read Full »

Noticed a growth in my throat. What it could be?

Query: Hi doctor,Yesterday I felt like something was stuck in my throat. Today, I noticed a growth in my throat. I am 43 years old, non-smoker, and drink one to two glasses of wine per month. Kindly tell me what this could be?  Read Full »

Dr. Mehak Agarwal

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I saw the photo you have attached (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Although there is a lot of reflected light, I can make out that you have enlarged tonsils and edematous uvula. However, due to the reflected light and distortion of natural color, I c...  Read Full »

Nothing seems to help my allergic rhinitis. What should I do?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been diagnosed with allergic rhinitis. I saw many doctors and had a nasal septum deviation surgery last year too, to control the allergies but nothing helped. I have to take antihistamines twice every day. I take 180 mg Telfast. The symptoms are very similar to having the flu. ...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Allergy is a genetic disorder and does not have a permanent cure. When we know we are allergic to some substance, the best way to avoid allergy is to stay away from it. This form of allergen-avoidance is not practical in your case. To establish that it is allergy indee...  Read Full »