Q. I have asthma and nasal polyps. Is surgery essential for it?

Dr. Deepthi Maringanti
Published on Nov 17, 2019 and last reviewed on: Nov 19, 2019

I am 59 years old. I have asthma for five years and taking Seretide for that. Over the last few months, I have been having serious allergy problems (sneezing, runny nose) and for some time I lost my sense of smell but it seems it is getting back after I started taking some steroids (Solone) and Nasacort nasal spray and sinus wash over the last two weeks. I had a CT scan of my face taken last year. I have polyps in my nose as well. I am getting mixed messages from various doctors about what would help me. Some are suggesting surgery. But I am worried about the surgery. Based on the CT scan of the face and the nasal endoscopy (attached), what would you recommend? Is surgery essential? If surgery, what kind of surgery is needed, please mention the names of surgery.

Dr. Deepthi Maringanti

Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

I have gone through your complaints and your attachment files. (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

This is suggesting allergic polyps in the nasal cavity along with some sarcoidosis pictures in the lungs. Sarcoidosis is a chronic granulomatous condition that can be treated only by steroids that you are already taking. But polyps in the nasal cavity requires surgery to be done to get relief. You require to undergo minimal functional endoscopic sinus surgery which is done using a nasal endoscope. Even though you have inferior turbinate hypertrophy and deviated nasal septum with a spur in septum septal surgery (septoplasty and turbinate resection) are not required in view of sarcoidosis in your lungs. Minimal endoscopic sinus surgery with polypeptide followed by medication will be required for your condition.

My asthmatic mother's X-ray is negative for TB. What else this could be?

Query: Hello doctor, My mother has asthma as she used to smoke and live near roads. Her X-ray showed that trachea is in the midline, the cardiac shadow is not enlarged, pulmonary vasculatures are not prominent, hemidiaphragm is flattened, costophrenic sulci are blunted, right lower lung infiltrates presen...  Read Full »

Can nasal polyps and inflammed sinus causing loss of smell be cured?

Query: Hello doctor, After a severe cold including heavy sneezing, runny nose that lasted 3 to 4 weeks, I seem to have gradually lost my sense of smell. To clear this severe cold I had to take Avamys. A couple of doctors I consulted said my nose and sinus seem to be inflammed, and there are some polyps in...  Read Full »