Q. Is it possible to cure nasal polyps and inflammed sinus that are affecting smell?

Dr. Mohammed Osama Aboborda

After a severe cold including heavy sneezing, runny nose that lasted 3 to 4 weeks, I seem to have gradually lost my sense of smell. To clear this severe cold I had to take Avamys. A couple of doctors I consulted said my nose and sinus seem to be inflammed, and there are some polyps in the nose. Now and then I seem to have the sense of smell. But almost always, it does not seem to exist. I am very worried about this. I was wondering if this kind of condition can be reversed, and if so what kind of procedure or medication usually is needed. I take asthma medication (Seretide 250/25) twice a day. I have no other medical problem. Blood tests are all fine. I seem to catch colds easily (or perhaps it is an allergy). Any guidance as to the type of tests I need to do redo and procedures that could be done.

#

It seems that you have allergic rhinitis with polyposis. The loss of smell sensation with you can be because of the polyps which prevent the air to reach the olfactory mucosa in the roof of your nose or because of a viral attack. I advise you to take antiviral medicine as Acyclovir tablets. Its dose is five tablets all over one day only. Continue your Avamyse spray till polyps disappear. If the Avamays spray does not end the polyposis you have to perform a surgery to remove polyps. When the smell nerves are injured, it cannot be healed completely again. We just save the remaining part of the sensation. In your case, I think it is smarter of time that you can smell again but not in a normal way as before. Just treat polyps first then we will see.

|