Q. Why do I have a raspy voice from childhood?

Dr. Mehak Agarwal

I have a question about my voice. As a kid, I had a raspy voice the entire time until puberty. After I hit puberty, I do not think my parents noticed anything, but people have said I sound like Kermit the frog or that I need to stop mumbling. The problem I have is that I have to try quite hard to speak in a normal tone, and I am extremely self-conscious about the way I sound. I breathed through my mouth my entire life until I had a septoplasty three years back. Now I can breathe through one nostril, which I guess is 60 % open, while the other one is always 100 % blocked. What is happening, that is making me sound like this? I know I was not meant to sound this way, there has to be something causing some problem. Any idea or suggestion will be appreciated.

Dr. Mehak Agarwal

Diabetology Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

If your nose is blocked then you may have nasal polyps or some nasopharyngeal mass like adenoid or may have deviated nasal septum. For that, an endoscopy or CT scan is required. It may alter the voice.

After ruling out these possibilities, you can consult a speech therapist.

According to me, you should meet an ENT specialist and get a nasal endoscopy and laryngoscopy done. Following which, a CT scan can be done, if needed.

For further queries consult an ENT otolaryngologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/ENT-Otolaryngologist

| 

Thank you very much. I do have a referral to an ENT, but I am just trying to gather some information before I go. As I will have more information to give him or her. I will ask for both an endoscopy and a laryngoscopy, thank you for the quick response.

Dr. Mehak Agarwal

Diabetology Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

Yes, in your case I feel there is some pathology in the nasopharynx, which is the cause of the voice change. And as you cannot breathe at all from one nostril, it is best to get yourself checked.

You are most welcome. Do revert back.

For more information consult an ENT otolaryngologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/ENT-Otolaryngologist

| 

How to straighten teeth without braces or veneers?

Query: Hello doctor, I want straight teeth. I do not want braces or accelerated orthodontics or veneers. And I do not want a retainer. Is there any hope?  Read Full »

Why is there breathing difficulty in a person with deviated nasal septum?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a deviated nasal septum on the right side of my nose. I also have difficulty in breathing although I have deviated right side septum but still, I face breathing problems in the left side. I also sometimes feel pain on my face but my major problem is that if I use nasal sprays, ...  Read Full »

Do all soft cleft palate surgeries require dental treatment as well?

Query: Hi doctor, My daughter is 2 years old and was detected with a soft cleft palate. We had performed soft cleft palate surgery for her. I read a few articles and it recommended ortho surgery as for cleft palate. But, I am confused as it is mentioned only cleft palate. I wanted to know whether children...  Read Full »