Get E-Book on COVID-19

Q. Why do I have a raspy voice from childhood?

Answered by
Dr. Mehak Agarwal
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on May 17, 2017

Hello doctor,

I have a question about my voice. As a kid, I had a raspy voice the entire time until puberty. After I hit puberty, I do not think my parents noticed anything, but people have said I sound like Kermit the frog or that I need to stop mumbling. The problem I have is that I have to try quite hard to speak in a normal tone, and I am extremely self-conscious about the way I sound. I breathed through my mouth my entire life until I had a septoplasty three years back. Now I can breathe through one nostril, which I guess is 60 % open, while the other one is always 100 % blocked. What is happening, that is making me sound like this? I know I was not meant to sound this way, there has to be something causing some problem. Any idea or suggestion will be appreciated.

Dr. Mehak Agarwal

Diabetology Otolaryngology (E.N.T)


Welcome to

If your nose is blocked then you may have nasal polyps or some nasopharyngeal mass like adenoid or may have deviated nasal septum. For that, an endoscopy or CT scan is required. It may alter the voice.

After ruling out these possibilities, you can consult a speech therapist.

According to me, you should meet an ENT specialist and get a nasal endoscopy and laryngoscopy done. Following which, a CT scan can be done, if needed.

For further queries consult an ENT otolaryngologist online -->

Was this answer helpful?


Hello doctor,

Thank you very much. I do have a referral to an ENT, but I am just trying to gather some information before I go. As I will have more information to give him or her. I will ask for both an endoscopy and a laryngoscopy, thank you for the quick response.

Dr. Mehak Agarwal

Diabetology Otolaryngology (E.N.T)


Welcome back to

Yes, in your case I feel there is some pathology in the nasopharynx, which is the cause of the voice change. And as you cannot breathe at all from one nostril, it is best to get yourself checked.

You are most welcome. Do revert back.

For more information consult an ENT otolaryngologist online -->

Was this answer helpful?


Related Questions:
What are the symptoms of frontotemporal dementia?
Will I get benefit from sinus surgery?
Endoscopy reveals problem in nasal turbinates. Is surgery a must?
Consult by PhoneConsult by Phone Video ChatVideo Chat
Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

How to straighten teeth without braces or veneers?

Query: Hello doctor, I want straight teeth. I do not want braces or accelerated orthodontics or veneers. And I do not want a retainer. Is there any hope?  Read Full »

Why is there breathing difficulty in a person with deviated nasal septum?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a deviated nasal septum on the right side of my nose. I also have difficulty in breathing although I have deviated right side septum but still, I face breathing problems in the left side. I also sometimes feel pain on my face but my major problem is that if I use nasal sprays, ...  Read Full »

Is dental treatment required for all cleft palate surgeries?

Query: Hi doctor, My daughter is 2 years old and was detected with a soft cleft palate. We had performed soft cleft palate surgery for her. I read a few articles and it recommended ortho surgery as for cleft palate. But, I am confused as it is mentioned only cleft palate. I wanted to know whether children...  Read Full »

Also Read

I have a little patch on my hairline, which is not healing properly. Why?
Hi doctor, I am a fair-skinned 32-year-old woman. I have used skincare with SPF for as long as I can remember and have n...  Read more»
I have lots of afterimages and visual trailing. Could it be due to dry eyes?
Hello doctor, Can dry eyes cause afterimages and visual trails? I have a history of non-allergic rhinitis and dry eyes ...  Read more»
Hemophilia - Signs, Symptoms, Causes, and Treatment
Hemophilia is a rare genetic blood disorder, that results from low levels or absence of clotting factor VIII or IX. Read...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an ENT Otolaryngologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.