Q. Why do I have a raspy voice from childhood?

Dr. Mehak Agarwal
This is a premium question & answer published on May 17, 2017 and last reviewed on: Sep 18, 2021

I have a question about my voice. As a kid, I had a raspy voice the entire time until puberty. After I hit puberty, I do not think my parents noticed anything, but people have said I sound like Kermit the frog or that I need to stop mumbling. The problem I have is that I have to try quite hard to speak in a normal tone, and I am extremely self-conscious about the way I sound. I breathed through my mouth my entire life until I had a septoplasty three years back. Now I can breathe through one nostril, which I guess is 60 % open, while the other one is always 100 % blocked. What is happening, that is making me sound like this? I know I was not meant to sound this way, there has to be something causing some problem. Any idea or suggestion will be appreciated.

#

If your nose is blocked then you may have nasal polyps or some nasopharyngeal mass like adenoid or may have deviated nasal septum. For that, an endoscopy or CT scan is required. It may alter the voice.

After ruling out these possibilities, you can consult a speech therapist.

According to me, you should meet an ENT specialist and get a nasal endoscopy and laryngoscopy done. Following which, a CT scan can be done, if needed.

For further queries consult an ENT otolaryngologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/ENT-Otolaryngologist

Thank you very much. I do have a referral to an ENT, but I am just trying to gather some information before I go. As I will have more information to give him or her. I will ask for both an endoscopy and a laryngoscopy, thank you for the quick response.

#

Yes, in your case I feel there is some pathology in the nasopharynx, which is the cause of the voice change. And as you cannot breathe at all from one nostril, it is best to get yourself checked.

You are most welcome. Do revert back.

For more information consult an ENT otolaryngologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/ENT-Otolaryngologist

|