Q. I would like to get an opinion on my fiber scan and CT scan which shows NASH with normal LFT.

Published on Nov 13, 2019

I wanted to get a second opinion on a fiber scan, and CT scan reports I received.

Critical Care Physician Diabetology General Medicine Internal Medicine Medical Gastroenterology Nephrology Pulmonology (Asthma Doctors) Rheumatology
#

I have seen your reports. (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

Your fibroscan result are suggestive of NASH (nonalcoholic steatohepatitis). But there are multiple artifacts in the results so the results could be wrong. To help you better I would need to know, for what symptoms your fibroscan was performed? How about your liver function tests? What is your age and sex? Please provide me the above details to help you better.

I have upper right abdominal pain for a year, and also have ulcers. All of my liver function test was normal. I also have a slight fatty liver for years. This fibroscan freaked me out as the blood test, and the CT scan was normal. The other thing I should mention is that for a month before the fiber scan, I was on vacation and drinking abnormally heavily. The CT showed the liver is remarkable with few punctate, likely cyst.

#

I am not convinced with the report as your LFT (liver function test) is normal. I suppose your pain in the right upper abdomen is not related to this. It could be due to ulcers or acidity. Take Pantoprazole for two to three weeks. That should help.

Normal imaging with normal LFT, with doubtful fibroscan, leads us nowhere to the diagnosis of NASH. Just stop alcohol completely and start exercising. Get Fibroscan repeated after three months from some other center.

Please interpret my USG liver report.

Query: Hello doctor, Four months before, I was diagnosed with fatty liver, slightly elevated fasting sugar and the level of total cholesterol. My current medications are tablet Viboliv 500 daily two times in a restricted diet and Nexpro RD. I had consumed spicy foods rarely. In the last four months, I l...  Read Full »

What does negative PCR and positive antigen tests for hepatitis C mean?

Query: Hello doctor, I want to know your opinion. I have had two positive hepatitis C antigen tests and the doctor had a polymerase chain reaction test that was negative for hepatitis C. He said I was one of the lucky ones. He said he could repeat and I did and again negative. All blood was concerning liv...  Read Full »

Is it fine to take Prednisone and Azathioprine for autoimmune hepatitis?

Query: Hi doctor, I have been itching throughout my body, especially after eating, for about two years. I noticed fatigue and shortness of breath about 18 months ago. I stopped smoking before seven years. I stopped drinking before a year as my upper abdominal area started paining after drinking. Before fi...  Read Full »