Q. I have pain in back side of neck with a shock while turning towards left. What is the treatment?

Dr. Manav Gupta

For the past three days, I am having pain in backside of my neck. The pain actually is not in the complete neck it is in a part from neck to mid of the back. When I turn my head to the left it is a kind of electric shock feeling. This may be because of some sleeping angle, I do not know but I am feeling it very badly. The pain I feel is from goes from neck nerve at the back to the left arm and down to neck till the middle of back. From today morning I have a little headache. Also, I am diabetic. Please help.

This is an Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the ad.

Dr. Manav Gupta

Orthopedics And Traumatology
#

Welcome to icliniq.com

Are you using a thick pillow? Neck muscles seem to be in spasm.

Muscular spasm.

Give elaborate history on any medications you are allergic to or taking at present.

| 

I use Diwan pillow while watching the cell phone and I am not allergic to any medicine until now. During the night, I use soft pillows. While watching movies I am using two pillows to watch the movie comfortably.

Dr. Manav Gupta

Orthopedics And Traumatology
#

It appears as muscular strain due to bad posture and also probably more than usual TV watching in a sleeping or reclined position.

Initial aim would be to get you relieved of the spasm and shock like sensation. Before prescribing medicine I would like to know whether you have any radiation of pain to your shoulders, arms, or hands? Any numbness or tingling sensation? Is there a physiotherapy center nearby?

| 

I do not feel numbness and I do not feel pain in a normal sitting position. When I turn my head to the left side it is shock-like pain and it extends till the middle of the back. Nearby physio centers are not available due to lockdown.

Dr. Manav Gupta

Orthopedics And Traumatology
#

I am going to write you some medications which you can take and then when your pain and uneasiness subsides (should take atleast 5-6 days) you can follow up with a video/audio chat and I can then advise you specific exercises in regard to the rehabilitation of these strained muscles.

If you do not see any relief in three days we can go for an investigation like an x-ray. If you have relief then follow the advice as told earlier. Use hot packs/fomentation in addition to the above.

Avoid lifting heavy weights. Avoid improper posture. Use soft pillows.

| 

I am having neck pain with weakness after anterior discectomy of C3, C4 and C5. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 31 years old, before 16 years underwent anterior discectomy of c3c4&c4c5 with fusion. Even had neck pain and pain got radiated to neck and back while working. Suffering with pain for 16 years but I got used to it. But for past few months neck became very very week am not able...  Read Full »

Spinal Causes of Neck Pain

Article Overview: Neck pain is one of the most common problems among people, especially with desk jobs and those working on computers most of the time. The causes of neck pain can be divided into spinal and non-spinal causes. Here in this article, we will try to understand some of the most common causes of neck pain. Read Article

Dr. Anuj Gupta

Almost every one of us has suffered from neck pain once in our lifetime. The lifestyle of people in this competitive world exposes them to many mechanical problems like low back pain and neck pain. There are various reasons for neck pain. Broadly we can divide them into spinal causes and non-spinal ...  Read Article

How to manage back pain that started after playing Foosball?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a back pain. It just started while I was playing Foosball. The pain goes down to my left thigh, hamstring area, towards the left side of the left knee and to the ankle. I have also got twinging and numb little toe finger on my left foot. I am only applying Volini ointment ...  Read Full »

Ask an Orthopaedician & Traumatologist Now