HomeAnswersOrthopedician and Traumatologyneck painWhat could be the reason for neck pain that radiates to left arm?

I have pain in back side of neck with a shock while turning towards left. What is the treatment?

Share

The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Dr. Manav Gupta

Medically reviewed by

Dr. Vinodhini J.

Published At May 16, 2020
Reviewed AtNovember 3, 2023

Patient's Query

I have a spasm in my neck muscles. Please help.

Thanks.

Answered by Dr. Manav Gupta

I understand your concern.

Are you using a thick pillow? Neck muscles seem to be in spasm.

I hope this information will help you.

Thanks.

The Probable causes

The probable causes are muscular spasm.

Treatment plan

Give elaborate history on any medications you are currently allergic to or taking.

Patient's Query

Thanks for the reply.

I use a pillow while watching the cellphone, and I am not allergic to any medicine until now. During the night, I use soft cushions. While watching movies, I use two pillows to watch the movie comfortably.

Thanks.

Answered by Dr. Manav Gupta

I understand your concern.

It appears as muscular strain due to bad posture and probably more than usual television watching in a sleeping or reclined position.

I hope this information will help you.

Thanks.

Patient's Query

Thanks for the reply.

I do not feel numbness, and I do not feel pain in a normal sitting position. If I turn my head to the left side, a shock-like pain extends to the middle of the back. Nearby physio centers are not available due to the lockdown.

Thanks.

Answered by Dr. Manav Gupta

I understand your concern.

I am going to write you some medications that you can take, and then when your pain and uneasiness subside (should take at least five to six days), you can follow up with a video or audio chat, and I can then advise you specific exercises regarding the rehabilitation of these strained muscles. If you do not see any relief in three days, we can go for an investigation, like an X-ray. If you have relief, then follow the advice as told earlier. Use hot packs or fomentation in addition to the above.

I hope this information will help you.

Thanks.

Preventive measures

1. Avoid lifting heavy weights. 2. Avoid improper posture. 3. Use soft pillows.

Patient's Query

Thanks for the reply.

I did not use any medicines because of the lockdown. Without medication, it was good, but in the past two days, again, it started, so I am going to get medicines. The intensity of the pain keeps changing, and there is no swelling. At night, when I sleep, and in the morning, the pain is more after some head exercise. It gives little relief.

Thanks.

Answered by Dr. Manav Gupta

I understand your concern.

Continue using hot packs of fomentation. Continue with the precautions as advised. Start with the prescription. Also, it will take a bit of time, but it should get better. Follow up with a video consultation in four or five days.

I hope this information will help you.

Thanks

Patient's Query

Thank you for the reply.

I am recovering. The pain will come back when I lean back. As I am diabetic, please give me suggestions regarding food and any medicine that can help me strengthen my nerves and bones. Please help.

Thanks.

Answered by Dr. Manav Gupta

I understand your concern.

Get your latest HbA1c and vitamin D3 levels. You need to understand that the primary issue is weak, strained muscles owing to posture, lack of exercise, or work. You must start activities for your neck, upper back, and lower back. It would be best to start with the basic level and then move on to the complex. You can either learn from a physiotherapist or I can teach you over video. After your reports return, we will see whether to start vitamin D supplements and other medications. For your nerves, you start with the medicine tablet Tetrafol (Vitamin B) for two months. You can increase your intake of dairy products and curd (a natural source of calcium). Revert after your laboratory reports.

I hope this information will help you.

Patient's Query

Thanks for the reply.

I am good doing well. Have a great day. I will reach out to you once I tested the things you suggested.

Thanks.

Answered by Dr. Manav Gupta

I understand your concern.

It is excellent to know that you are doing well. We will get in touch after you get your results.

I hope this information will help you.

Thanks.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Manav Gupta
Dr. Manav Gupta

Orthopedician and Traumatology

Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Ask your health query to a doctor online

Orthopedician and Traumatology

*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy