Q. What causes neck pain with weakness after anterior discectomy of C3, C4 and C5?

Dr. Mahaveer Patil

I am 31 years old, before 16 years underwent anterior discectomy of c3c4&c4c5 with fusion. Even had neck pain and pain got radiated to neck and back while working. Suffering with pain for 16 years but I got used to it. But for past few months neck became very very week am not able to bare my head weight and not able to keep neck in straight position. Now for past 20-25 days having severe neck pain, weakness of full both hands and legs sometimes with numbness. Eye pressure and back head pain. I am not able to keep neck at straight position. Getting breaking sound if I rotate the neck. Neck movement is restricted. I have attached my recent MRI report, can you please tell me what is the actual issue with this.

#

I have gone through your query and medical history along with the attached reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The problem does not seem to be due to the fused C3-4 or C4-5 levels. Infact a disc prolapse at C5-C6 with nerve compression is causing the present symptoms. I would suggest you to go for physiotherapy sessions including cervical traction along with neck strengthening passive and active exercises,SWD/IRT. It would always be better to avoid going through another surgery considering the post-operative complications. Hence, in my personal opinion, you should avoid a re-surgery and go for conservative line of management. Analgesics,anti-inflammatory tablets, hot fomentation and use of cervical soft collar will help. If the symptoms do not improve, you can consult an Orthopedist/Neurosurgeon for further management.

| 

Can exercise improve muscles that are affected by nerve damage?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 65 years old, male, otherwise in good health but BMI around 31. I have a damaged spinal cord at C4 (due to disk herniation) and had anterior discectomy with fusion in 14 years back. I have had left sided peripheral neuropathy since my surgery (15 years). All sensory, no motor iss...  Read Full »

Is fusion surgery a good option for disc extrusion?

Query: Hi doctor, Four years before, I met with a car accident with no external injury. After a week, I started getting pain in my right buttock and calf area. Later, I was recommended for an MRI and found it was L4-L5 disc extrusion. I underwent the microscopic discectomy the same year. Now, for the pas...  Read Full »

How to check if the blood circulation to the head and neck is fine?

Query: Hi doctor, A physiotherapist did some manipulation with my neck and since then when I fall asleep at night, my arms, hands, upper back (area just below the neck) and brain feels weird as if blood supply is cut. This happens several times during the night while I am sleeping and these symptoms go aw...  Read Full »

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»

Ask a Spine Surgeon Now